[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » FHSW Crash and performance solutions! (m) (Now in English)
FHSW Crash and performance solutions! (m)
XenanabDate: Monday, 2015-05-18, 8:27 PM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
About a year ago Stefan posted this thread in which some nice methods for troubleshooting were presented.
Unfortunately for a lot of players, these were explained in German and are propably not helpful.
So now I think it's about time to translate them roughly!

English:

FHSW fixing crashes:

1. Multi-Core-Processors
Battlefield 1942 is known for having issues with multi-core-processors, which will be noticable in form of game-freezing, system crashing and simply disconnecting from servers.
First of all you should try to allocate via taskmanager only one processor for Battlefield 1942 after you started the game.
In the taskmanager you simply right click on Battlefield 1942 and choose `Set affinity' (on Windows 8 you first have to open detailed view first).
A new window will open and you will see that all your processor cores are marked. Now disable all cores except of one. Click on OK and your system will allocate only one processor core for the Battlefield 1942.exe !
Of course you have to repeat that every time after you've started the game.

2. Update for Windows XP SP2
Basically - if you are playing on XP - you should definitely make sure you have the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP installed!
Otherwise you might encounter game-freezing or disconnecting from servers while playing online.

3. Windows Vista/ 7 / 8
If you are playing on these, never install Battlefield 1942 in your normal windows programs directory! Do not install it where your operating system is installed (usually C:\)!
Rather choose a different directory (like D:\) and install with a dedicated path (like D:\games\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\ . . . )
Maybe also try to start the game with admin rights and if there are further problems try the compatibility mode with Windows XP. But normally a fresh install into a different directory should be already the way to go.

-
Personally I didn't notice any more problems like crashing on complex pushmaps like Alpenfestung or FPS stuttering whenever a Tiger explodes in the distance after I've made the 1st and 3rd step. And yes, also with S&T-pack everything runs fine!
Other people like eYe and Robert as well could confirm that the above mentioned fixes will certainly help fixing the game.

Spread the word!

crazygameloverDate: Monday, 2015-05-18, 9:45 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 13
I currently don't have an alternative directory, so could I just use a USB and cut/paste all the BF1942 files onto that?

starking018Date: Monday, 2015-05-18, 9:56 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
You can if you have a recent patch from tuia (http://team-simple.org/download/), but it may have other problems (see this post: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=55000#p55000). Loading times may be a little longer too.

But what problems do you have with the game now?

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

crazygameloverDate: Monday, 2015-05-18, 10:02 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Awards: 13
None, really. I just want to see if my STFHSW is more stable with these recommendations. I decided to reinstall BF1942 into my Documents folder, we'll see how it goes.
EDIT: Alpennoob still crashes for me, but later than usual, and Gela (which I've had problems with) doesn't crash at all anymore. I'll check to see if other problematic maps work

Message edited by crazygamelover - Tuesday, 2015-05-19, 12:56 PM

RADIOSMERSHDate: Tuesday, 2015-05-19, 0:14 AM | Message # 5
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote Xenanab ()
Of course you have to repeat that every time after you've started the game.

There is a way to do it automatically:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutoria....ws.html

(HH)BenjaminDate: Sunday, 2015-05-31, 10:19 PM | Message # 6
Colonel
Awards: 9
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
There is a way to do it automatically:

I followed the instructions but I still can't get it to run automatically.

wewakDate: Tuesday, 2015-06-02, 4:10 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant Colonel
Awards: 3
Which part are you stuck on? Here is how mine looks.
I think it is better than just setting it on task manager as the game basically restarts after every map.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Battlefield 1942" /affinity 1 "C:\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1

(HH)BenjaminDate: Tuesday, 2015-06-02, 6:02 PM | Message # 8
Colonel
Awards: 9
Quote wewak ()
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Battlefield 1942" /affinity 1 "C:\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1
Is this the path of your shortcut?
The part I'm confused on is when I make the shortcut and I'll try to run it, and this command box pops up and then disappears. But then I look at the processor count for the game and its still on "All Processors", therefore the shortcut isn't working but I don't know how to fix it.

starking018Date: Tuesday, 2015-06-02, 7:56 PM | Message # 9
Colonel
I did it like this: http://stackoverflow.com/a/24794558

I downloaded PSTools.zip (it comes from Microsoft) and extracted only PsExec.exe in a folder. First time I opened PsExec.exe it asked me to accept the EULA. My shortcut's target looks like this:

Code
"C:\Battlefield 1942\PsExec.exe" -a 0 "C:\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +game fhsw +restart 1 +joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567

There is an extra window that stays open while the game is running, so in the shortcut's properties I made it run minimized.

Apparently BF1942.exe keeps the same CPU affinity even after it changes maps when it has been started through PsExec.

RADIOSMERSHDate: Monday, 2015-06-22, 8:41 AM | Message # 10
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote starking018 ()
Nice find!

Quote starking018 ()
There is an extra window that stays open while the game is running, so in the shortcut's properties I made it run minimized.
Actually, if you add "-d" parameter to the command, this windows will close immediately after BF1942 process is started.

Code
"C:\Battlefield 1942\PsExec.exe" =d -a 0 "C:\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +game fhsw +restart 1 +joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567

h1uaiooDate: Wednesday, 2020-12-02, 6:33 PM | Message # 11
Private
Group: Recruit
Awards: 1
Hi, I have a problem after the map is finished and before uploading a new map bf ends with an error message, now it crashes while loading the
map (the program has stopped working). It doesn't matter if bf1942
classic or fhsw. This is how it crashes for me for about 3 weeks.I tried
backward compatibility, setting up CPU core spooling. But it only
helped for a while. Does anyone have any repair tips?I searched the
forum here as well, but so far it has not succeeded.

nick game : windigo

starking018Date: Thursday, 2020-12-03, 10:25 AM | Message # 12
Colonel
Hi windigo!
The things which can help depend on which operating system you are on, but most commonly it's best to run bf1942.exe without a compatibility mode, without "Battlefield 1942 Windows Vista/7 compatibility fix", with the 4GB patch applied, and with "run as administrator" enabled. So it would help if you provide more info about your system. Since you mentioned it's only been like thisĀ for about 3 weeks maybe it is influenced by some change in your system or the way you use it. For example, bf1942 may crash when you have some programs running (like some media players or some programs with overlays) or if you alt+tab out of the game.

h1uaiooDate: Friday, 2020-12-04, 8:07 PM | Message # 13
Private
Hi starking018,
thank you for the answer, I have Win 7 sp1 64 bit, CPU i5 - 2500K 3.30Ghz, RAM 8 GB.I'll try your advice and write here.Thanks politely

starking018Date: Saturday, 2020-12-05, 10:38 AM | Message # 14
Colonel
Try them, and if it's not enough you may try the Battlefield 1942 Windows Vista/7 compatibility fix (BF1942CF.exe) but it's not the best way because it increases loading times a little (some of the compatibility modes are even worse).

Reportedly Win 7 (and Vista too) is worse for bf1942 than other operating systems, with Win 8.1 and 10 running it better without having to use any compatibility modes. So if you happen to have (or want to have) 8.1 or 10 maybe it would be better and easier to play BF1942 there (but more importantly, I recommend choosing the best hardware you have, because there are advantages from CPU and GPU speed, despite being an old game). And if you want to use an OS which is past its end of support (keeping in mind the risks of that) for old games and things like that, then Win XP is much better than 7 for BF1942, because that was the latest Windows version that the game was made for.

Message edited by starking018 - Saturday, 2020-12-05, 10:39 AM

h1uaiooDate: Wednesday, 2020-12-30, 7:14 PM | Message # 15
Private
The game still crashes after loading the map .before entering the game. The program has stopped working, CPU ASSEMBLY does not work. Not compatibility either.Navi digs it for a CD key in use! , I have the original key, does anyone have the same?I'll probably have to reinstall. (

waldhurzakDate: Wednesday, 2020-12-30, 9:32 PM | Message # 16
Captain
Awards: 5
when you crashed to desktop etc (no disconnects to menu) your player is still around 25 seconds on server you have to wait this and join (another you will get the cdkey in use cause your player is still there) it doesnt matter, now whether your cd-key is original or no
You can use bf42 installer fully patched and get random cd key (no needed during installation) on each device

try to use bf1942 fhsw all in one installer version and check if crashes still occurs

Best Bf1942 version for FHSW:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/818jqqez94ka80h/BF1942-HD.rar

rafal

Message edited by waldhurzak - Wednesday, 2020-12-30, 9:33 PM

henriqueohorrivelDate: Friday, 2022-09-09, 6:53 PM | Message # 17
Private
Awards: 0
So I've played FHSW before a couple of years back, and decided to give it a go recently.
I knew loading screen crash wasnt a big deal since it could be easily fixable before, but now whatever I do it doesn't seem to fix (like changing compatibility and so on..)

I've put the game on window mode to check the error of crash, and in 2 diferent maps got these errors respectivelly:

Template id 25640 not found

Template id 76085 not found

Can I get this fix? thanks in advance to anyone willing to help

jeanstonezeDate: Sunday, 2022-09-11, 3:25 PM | Message # 18
Lieutenant
Awards: 7
What FHSW version are you trying to launch? 0.621 was published 1 and half year ago, you might have old version
Are you trying to join public server or singleplayer?
What maps are you launching?

Jan Paul a.k.a. DALlDA

Message edited by jeanstoneze - Sunday, 2022-09-11, 3:25 PM

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » FHSW Crash and performance solutions! (m) (Now in English)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: