[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Infos: » New Gameserver Provider (r)
New Gameserver Provider (r)
[LSD]SeppDietrich[OGF]Date: Saturday, 2014-12-27, 5:22 PM | Message # 21
Lieutenant Colonel
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 12
danke für die antwort eye!
ich tu 5 euro monat mit in den pott!wenn das hilft

Mut bedeutet zu kämpfen auch wenn der Feind übermächtig ist!
Courage meant to fight even if the enemy is over powerful!

starking018Date: Saturday, 2014-12-27, 11:38 PM | Message # 22
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
@Mr_J: Better architecture definitely has an effect (I know it from experience, too) - there's much more to it than new instruction sets and features.

@Eye: This chart has a better representation of the relative single core performance of desktop CPUs (Xeons are not included):
http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/desktop_CPUs_single.html
i7-4770 is only very slightly faster than i7-3770K (both at 3.9 GHz turbo) - about 3%. By the way, it's also very close to i7-3770, i5 4670K and i3-4370 (not on the chart, but the score should be around 1036.7).

Perhaps we could use a server with Linux installed and then if we really need to we could install a virtual machine with Windows with an improper licence or a pirated one - it doesn't matter - the server provider is not responsible for it, so they would probably not care/know. I don't believe in copyrights so it's OK with me, I don't know about you.

Out of curiosity I made a quick calculation to see how much would it cost to buy a new machine outright where I live (having our own machine has great advantages like having full control and freedom to do stuff, e.g. overclocking, installing any OS, etc). The specific parts could be different. Some of the parts could probably be obtained a little cheaper. Prices are in EUR, excluding VAT (I usually obtain PC hardware VAT free, that too is OK with me, I am an anarchist anyway).

CPU: Core i3-4370 126.03€ (actually, this CPU sucks for overclocking)
CPU: Pentium G3258 56.19€ (The next cheapest CPU good for overclocking is quite a bit more expensive: i5-4670K - 212.49€)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z97-D3H (integrated Intel® Gigabit LAN) 89.91€
RAM: 2x2GB GEIL DDR3 1600 30.5€
SSD: Kingston 60GB V300 36.12€
PSU: ~300-400W good quality, 35-45€, ~40€
case: ~30€
----------
total: ~282.72€

Optional:
UPS: ~50€?
Better CPU cooler: ~20-50€
Better router: ?

Internet connection and electricity are relatively cheap where I live. I could provide those. One drawback to hosting a server in my home is that ping would be high for American players. A location around Frankfurt or London would be ideal. It's just a thought experiment. I know there are other drawbacks anyway.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

Message edited by starking018 - Sunday, 2014-12-28, 7:34 AM

Endless_NamelessDate: Sunday, 2014-12-28, 3:21 PM | Message # 23
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
Quote starking018 ()
Perhaps we could use a server with Linux installed and then if we really need to we could install a virtual machine with Windows with an improper licence or a pirated one - it doesn't matter - the server provider is not responsible for it, so they would probably not care/know. I don't believe in copyrights so it's OK with me, I don't know about you.

I don't care if it's my own computer but I don't think I want to use a pirated Windows on a rented server if I'm the one responsible for it.

An own server sounds tempting but my internet is too slow for this.

Thanks for your offer, you're from Bulgaria right? I checked Bluedrake's video and he had a ping of ~150 to our current server and ~180 to yours. That's quite a bit.

And you in a plane with 0 ping? Flying is already no fun when you're in the opposing team. sadwalk

Quote Mr_J ()

Not yet, could be an idea. Intel Core i7-3770 and 16 GB RAM for 35€ (+25€ for Windows) sounds good, right?

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Endless_NamelessDate: Sunday, 2014-12-28, 6:35 PM | Message # 24
General
Hmm, maybe Linux wouldn't be a bad choice. If we get everything set up like we want the only thing we really do is ssm, the commands required for that are probably not that difficult.

How good are your Linux skills Radio and starking? biggrin

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

starking018Date: Monday, 2014-12-29, 1:15 AM | Message # 25
Colonel
I am a noob at Linux - I know only some basics. However, we can get a Linux with a desktop environment installed and then work through some remote desktop software such as VNC. We would still need some Linux skills to set things up initially (or just a lot of manual/documentation reading, googling and trial and error). Then it should be easy.

It would be a good idea for someone to test to see whether all FHSW maps run fine on a Linux Battlefield 1942 server before a server is ordered.

Korsakov829Date: Monday, 2014-12-29, 5:47 AM | Message # 26
Major
Group: Blocked
Awards: 1
Linux is a terrible idea as it's hard to find people to understand it. I guarantee that if you go down that road you will run into problems sooner or later.

Mr_JDate: Monday, 2014-12-29, 11:23 AM | Message # 27
Accessory Admin
I remember we were having problems with patching FHT Linux servers with the no-key patch. Both the training and battle servers were patched the same way but only one of them worked, allowing CD and Origin users play altogether. The reason remained unknown, we could do nothing, since the only Linux-geek was unreachable at that time. So yeah, Linux is OK as long as everything works properly, but when something screws up, the server operator gets screwed up as well.

I know Tomek tls has worked as an administrator of Linux servers but I doubt he would take care of our server unless he gets paid for that.  wink I can send him a question, anyways.

Endless_NamelessDate: Tuesday, 2014-12-30, 9:12 PM | Message # 28
General
Ah okay, that doesn't sound good.

Thanks for all your input, I think I have found the one I want to rent. More info January 1st or 2nd.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Friday, 2015-01-02, 6:40 PM | Message # 29
Accessory Admin
Quote Mr_J ()
I know Tomek tls has worked as an administrator of Linux servers but I doubt he would take care of our server unless he gets paid for that. wink I can send him a question, anyways.
So, Tomek has agreed on setting things up to the linux server, if needed.

Endless_NamelessDate: Friday, 2015-01-02, 6:52 PM | Message # 30
General
Well, I have already bought a Windows server now. biggrin

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3,4 GHz
HDD: 3 TB SATA
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Costs: 60€ per month

I have everything installed and it can already be seen in the server browser, IP: 5.9.54.21 // Name: FHSW Test
Serverside loading times are a lot shorter, our current server takes about 3 minutes (!) to change a map, this one 1min to 1min10s.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Friday, 2015-01-02, 6:55 PM | Message # 31
Accessory Admin
That's marvellous. What's the name of hosting company?

Endless_NamelessDate: Friday, 2015-01-02, 6:57 PM | Message # 32
General
Hetzner Online, it's one from the link you posted on the previous page. Thanks for that btw.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Friday, 2015-01-02, 7:44 PM | Message # 33
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Yeah Hetzner is good. They also provide our great Minecraft Server. Nice one up

starking018Date: Saturday, 2015-01-03, 11:29 AM | Message # 34
Colonel
So Eye is testing the new server and set round time to 1 minute for this night to test load all maps, as I suggested. The server got stuck twice trying to load a map, failing and then loading the previous map, and so on. I managed to join the server and vote for the next map so that it would continue. So apparently the maps that crash are:

Battle of Britain Conquest mode (needs to be removed from the rotation anyway)
Saipan-1944

I think I have an idea why Saipan-1944 may be crashing. I was doing some testing on my own server in recent days and I found that if I replaced Mods\FHSW\lexiconall.dat with the one you recently posted in a thread here (Date modified for the file is: 11.09.14) I get an error message (the log says "Server has a popup"). BTW, this file causes some crashes both when used on a server and when used on a client. With the original lexiconall.dat file Saipan is loading fine here. Maybe you used this file?

There are also several maps that still aren't in the rotation.

He also tested Air raid alert - Kure and it crashes in the beginning. It is also the only map that crashes on my server, but loads successfully on the current server (although yesterday we played it and it lagged seriously on the current server). Perhaps there's a bug that was fixed with a SSM? Other maps that should probably be excluded (if they aren't already) until they are fixed are Alaska (random crashes during gameplay or at the end of the round) and Trois Ponts (bugged).

Yesterday I compared loading times to my server. For Gazaps it is about 5 seconds faster than mine, which is good and as expected.

Endless_NamelessDate: Saturday, 2015-01-03, 12:06 PM | Message # 35
General
Thanks for your detailed feedback.

- Battle of Britain: I hadn't uploaded the Vanilla version yet so that's why it crashed. Should work now. We have to use Conquest mode, Objective mode hasn't been updated since FH which means barely any static defenses, only two types of planes etc.
- Saipan: indeed a bug in the lexiconall.dat, sorry about that. Here's the corrected version: https://docs.google.com/uc?auth....ownload
If you don't install it and join the server when Saipan is on, it'll show a different map in the loading screen (Fall Weiß) but it will still load Saipan fine. At least for me.
- Kure: I have no idea why it works on our server, I didn't do any ssm.
- removed Trois Ponts & Alaska

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2015-01-03, 12:59 PM | Message # 36
Colonel
What about maps like Kothabaru and The Bridge of the river Kwai? These has always been crashing after several minutes of playing on the current one.

RADIOSMERSHDate: Saturday, 2015-01-03, 1:30 PM | Message # 37
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote Xenanab ()
What about maps like Kothabaru and The Bridge of the river Kwai? These has always been crashing after several minutes of playing on the current one.
The Bridge on the river Kwai was removed from 0.55, afaik.

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2015-01-03, 1:38 PM | Message # 38
Colonel
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
The Bridge on the river Kwai was removed from 0.55, afaik.

I see.

There is also Luzon. A nice map which kept crashing after some minutes sad

Endless_NamelessDate: Saturday, 2015-01-03, 3:35 PM | Message # 39
General
We have to test these maps again just to be sure.

btw. TS3 is up, password Available to users only

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Saturday, 2015-01-03, 4:10 PM | Message # 40
Accessory Admin
We need to discuss and estabilish an exact date of final migration so that I can send the information e-mails in advance. At first I have been thinking about the first Sunday of February, but now I assume there is no point of waiting whole month if stuff works OK. So January, 11th?

Beside, I would let old server running until the end of January with only 1 map in cycle and visible announcements.

Quote Endless_Nameless ()
TS3 is up, password Available to users only
thx, though it needs admin accounts to be given out

Also eYe, your PayPal payment form is needed

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Infos: » New Gameserver Provider (r)
Search: