[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » [Tutorial] Lightmapping (m)
[Tutorial] Lightmapping (m)
Endless_NamelessDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-28, 8:29 PM | Message # 41
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
The program only creates lightmaps for objects which are in the map's staticObjects.con, so no vehicles. The defgun is technically also a vehicle (can be entered by a player) just without wheels. wink

Static wrecks which you can see on the map are usually in the staticObjects.con and can be lightmapped but they are 1) usually very dark so you don't really see shadows and 2) the game engine seems to automatically generate (don't ask me how or why) very simple but sufficent shadows for them.

Also as I said in the OP delete all tree and overgrowth related samples or your map will end up being way too big.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

RADIOSMERSHDate: Wednesday, 2013-05-29, 10:04 AM | Message # 42
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
So, I'm done with samples. What maps haven't been ligthmapped yet?

Message edited by RADIOSMERSH - Wednesday, 2013-05-29, 9:06 PM

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2013-05-29, 10:10 PM | Message # 43
General
Afaik only Kakazu Ridge (which crashes) and some of the night maps are left.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Endless_NamelessDate: Saturday, 2013-10-19, 4:24 PM | Message # 44
General
Reupload as requested by crazygamelover (via PM) smile http://www.sendspace.com/file/va4fmi

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

crazygameloverDate: Saturday, 2013-10-19, 5:07 PM | Message # 45
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 13
THANK YOU MY MASTERFUL GOD OF FHSW  respect

mayerDate: Thursday, 2014-03-20, 1:37 AM | Message # 46
Admin
Group: Recruit
Awards: 15
I can not convert .dds to .tga with IrfanView, it says 'Error! Can't load' and skips the file

RADIOSMERSHDate: Thursday, 2014-03-20, 12:32 PM | Message # 47
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Quote mayer ()
I can not convert .dds to .tga with IrfanView, it says 'Error! Can't load' and skips the file

Do you have plugins installed? Or you could try to run Irfanview with administator rights.

mayerDate: Thursday, 2014-03-20, 12:51 PM | Message # 48
Admin
Group: Recruit
Awards: 15
Ok that makes sense, I thought the programm would come with plugins tongue
I'll try again lightmapping Kbely later

Mr_JDate: Wednesday, 2014-08-27, 10:44 AM | Message # 49
Accessory Admin
Awards: 22
Hmm I started ObjectLightmapping shortcut, it loads the map files and then quits when 100% of loading progress is reached. What's wrong?? Same for TerrainShadowing.

RADIOSMERSHDate: Wednesday, 2014-08-27, 11:50 AM | Message # 50
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Quote Mr_J ()
Hmm I started ObjectLightmapping shortcut, it loads the map files and then quits when 100% of loading progress is reached. What's wrong?? Same for TerrainShadowing.
I think debugging executable can help to find the reason of this issue.

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2014-08-27, 8:16 PM | Message # 51
General
It's been a while since I last worked on this so I don't quite remember all the problems I encountered.

Sounds like it can't find the required files (e. g. samples or ObjectsLighmap.con) or maybe it doesn't have the rights to create new files, are you running the .exe with admin rights?

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Thursday, 2014-08-28, 0:27 AM | Message # 52
Accessory Admin
Well, it looks like putting the map files in BF root was not enough for the executable. I packed my map as rfa and placed it in the regular maps directory, so it seems to work now.
BTW Why have you skipped describing the lmlist.dat file, eye? what does that do actually?

BTW2 What tricks have you used to shorten the terrain light mapping process? The estimated completing time is terrible in case of the map I'm working with... I guess generating a proper lmlist.dat according to the map size allows the renderer to skip certain terrain tiles. Am I right?

BTW3 I just noticed that many of my custom statics have been skipped by the renderer during the renderring process. Either .sample .sm and .rs were copied over to root/Standardmesh, so I got really confused now... UV channel 3 is done as well...

Endless_NamelessDate: Thursday, 2014-08-28, 2:24 PM | Message # 53
General
Quote Mr_J ()
BTW Why have you skipped describing the lmlist.dat file, eye? what does that do actually?
Hmm if I remember correctly I never got it to work, it just lightmapped everything and seemed to ignore that file. Maybe I did something wrong.

Quote Mr_J ()
BTW2 What tricks have you used to shorten the terrain light mapping process? The estimated completing time is terrible in case of the map I'm working with... I guess generating a proper lmlist.dat according to the map size allows the renderer to skip certain terrain tiles. Am I right?
I used a 2nd computer and just let it running, in case of Kure for several days. As I said above I didn't get lmlist.dat working I think I just removed the texture file I didn't want to lightmap.

Quote Mr_J ()
BTW3 I just noticed that many of my custom statics have been skipped by the renderer during the renderring process. Either .sample .sm and .rs were copied over to root/Standardmesh, so I got really confused now... UV channel 3 is done as well...
I think that's an error in my tutorial, try to recreate the path the lightmapping exe expects the samples (and .sm/.rs) to be and put them there. For mapside objects they're most likely in root/BF1942/levels/MAPNAME/standardmesh/. Alternatively move the custom objects from the map to the regular objects.rfa and leave the samples etc. where they are currently (root/standardmesh).

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Monday, 2014-09-01, 1:54 PM | Message # 54
Accessory Admin
Quote Endless_Nameless ()
I think that's an error in my tutorial, try to recreate the path the lightmapping exe expects the samples (and .sm/.rs) to be and put them there. For mapside objects they're most likely in root/BF1942/levels/MAPNAME/standardmesh/. Alternatively move the custom objects from the map to the regular objects.rfa and leave the samples etc. where they are currently (root/standardmesh).

That turned out to be a problem with .sample files. For a freaking unknown reason the samplemaker.exe couldn't create a correct .samples file if the 3rd channel UV was adjusted by my hand in any way. It only accepted the auto generated UV produced by the Flatten Mapping tool.
--------------------

I developed another solution that helps shorten the time of terrain shadows rendering process, that involves the benefit of having multiple CPU cores. It needs the basic 3DS Max knowledge. The less statics the map has the faster rendering is, so:

I created 2 separated copies of BF1942 game files because I was going to run 2 renderer processes at once. (my CPU has 2 cores)

1. I imported staticobjects.con into 3Ds Max using Rexman tools, placing the ingame map beneath. The flat plane I made consists of 4x4 segments because the map I used in this example, has a total of 16 terain textures.

2. I selected 1/2 of all objects (red frame on screenshot), extending the selection a little bit beyond the texture tiles I'm going to render (green frame on screenshot). If you don't do that, the shadows of objects that are placed on the unselected map half will be not visible, most likely (actually it depends on the sun light angle). Then I hit Export Statics.

3. I created a custom lmlist.dat file that tells the renderer wich tiles need to be processed and which not. The lmilist.dat has to be placed in root\ShadowWork\bf1942\levels\MAPNAME\Textures. The necessary tool program is added as the attachment to this post.

Then I did the same for another map half. If the map has very high amount of objects it is worth of splitting it to even more pieces.
Also, what is quite important, I changed the GeometryTemplate.shadowPrecision 4.0 in terrainLightmap.con to 2.0. This causes  the rendered shadow textures to be 512x512 px in size instead of 1024x1024 px, but these still look good after scalling them up, as shadows don't really need to be crispy sharp.  4 times lower amount of data that needs to be computed mean significantly shorter rendering time.
Attachments: BF42_Light.zip (18.1 Kb)

Endless_NamelessDate: Monday, 2014-09-01, 7:43 PM | Message # 55
General
Interesting, I haven't tried importing a map into 3dsmax yet. Nice trick.

Can you also edit the heightmap and textures then?

btw. the link doesn't work, the link shortener on this board often fails.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Tuesday, 2014-09-02, 11:00 AM | Message # 56
Accessory Admin
Link fixed I think.

Quote _Nameless ()
Can you also edit the heightmap and textures then?

HM yes.

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » [Tutorial] Lightmapping (m)
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search: