[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Infos: » It is time to order a new server (r) (Summary of discussion so far + options for a new server)
It is time to order a new server (r)
starking018Date: Sunday, 2018-11-25, 8:19 AM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
It is the end of the month and I think that it is time to finalize the discussion in the thread "Our main server is offline and Wewak is unreachable" and turn to action. This is a chance for more people to understand what is going on without having to go through the whole thread, and to participate. Here's a summary of the discussion so far: the contract and the account at the provider for our current server are in the name of Wewak (current "account owner"), who we are no longer able to make contact with. Despite this, we've somehow managed to keep the billing going and remote access working, but it is not reliable, it has failed several times already and likely will fail again, and now we have to get a new server so that we will have proper control and have things work normally. For players the main difference will be that the IP address for connecting to the server will change (this is unavoidable, but it's no big deal, as we have seen before).

The options (selected among what we looked at):
    1. The easiest one is the one closest to what we had (I consider it the default option): Order another server from the same provider (Hetzner) with almost identical hardware (CPU: Core i7-3770), in the same location (Germany). The price would be about €29/month (which is a lot lower than before, mostly thanks to RADIOSMERSH offering to provide a Windows Server licence). This price includes 19% VAT. If the contract is in the name of someone in the EU or Russia there would be VAT around that percentage. That could be: (and I'm nominating them, but I don't know if they'd accept) Lampo, Robert, Marduk, RADIOSMERSH, E-3, Bubu among others. The price would be €24.37 if there is no VAT, as it is for people from most other countries, such as CanukAttak's. We'd have the possibility to change the account owner, if necessary.
    2. Another option we found and examined is a server from SoYouStart. The faster hardware would save everyone about 10 seconds each time we are waiting for the map to change. The increase in the speed of the hardware over option 1 is roughly proportional to the price increase. The server is located in France, so there would be a small change in your ping latency, positive or negative, depending on your location. The price would be about €35/month + one off initial fee of €20. This price excludes VAT, and this is the price that RADIOSMERSH believes he'd be charged as a Russian (and definitely this price for CanukAttak as a Canadian). If we have to change the account owner again to someone in the EU we may end up having to pay more due to VAT, or order another server again.

In my opinion both options are good. The technical differences are relatively minor. I think that I should abstain from voting among these options, other than calling the first option the default option, but I defer my vote to the people who are going to be donating money.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

mardukDate: Sunday, 2018-11-25, 8:43 AM | Message # 2
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 45
So basically the question is either stick with what we know and what is working out quite good (Hetzner) or try something new. Although I would like to try out a new server I think option 1 is the better and also cheaper solution.

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

LampoDate: Sunday, 2018-11-25, 5:47 PM | Message # 3
Donator of 40€
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 31
buona sera  teehee

Tomorrow I have to pay for next month  so I wil do again. We have some time more to decide the best solution but we have to do asap. I prefer to stay on the old way, so the first solution is better. In addition, I don't like spend my money for French stuff rolleyes . But for the new server I can't be the server account holder because I'm sick and I don't know which kind of therapy I have to do... ( I will know all in 2/3 weeks... strange Xmas present this year  santahat   ). In any case I will do my part to support any cost.

ps:
BAN

Message edited by Lampo - Sunday, 2018-11-25, 5:48 PM

bubuDate: Sunday, 2018-11-25, 6:03 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Group: Admins
Awards: 31
I replied to old thread http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/2-884-8 .......

starking018Date: Friday, 2022-02-11, 9:25 AM | Message # 5
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
Just so people are aware: after the server provider recently raised the rent significantly to €36.84 per month (€34.80 + €2.04 for the IP address) it came close to some better offers from the same provider. Bubu and me both noticed this, and also compared some other major server providers such as OVH, and still it seems the current provider Hetzner has the lowest prices. Now is the time to suggest any better offer you may know of. Here are some of Hetzner's:
A server with an i7-7700 CPU for about €42.35 (prices fluctuate a little): https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=sk&cpu_from=8000&cpu_to=30000
Or one with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU for € 46.80 (select server location Germany, because who wants to get +20 or +30 ping to Finland to save a few bucks?): https://www.hetzner.com/dedicat....try=sk# Hetzner also offers zero setup fee if we upgrade to this server in the next few months.

Upgrading to one of these will basically speed up map changes for the FHSW server, since these servers have higher single-thread performance roughly proportional to their higher prices. Moreover, they will allow a lot more things to run in parallel without slowing other things down, especially the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU which has more than double the multi-thread performance of the current i7-3770. This will matter more if we run more bf1942 servers (more mods, a backup server), if/when the stats site gets revived, or should we need or want to run forums or this whole website on the same hardware.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

GameplayerDate: Friday, 2022-02-11, 2:34 PM | Message # 6
Silver Donator
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 12
@starking018

Funny when you mention the Ryzen 5 3600, because I have Ryzen 5 3600X in my PC.

It's performance has been really great. It even runs Halo Infinite without major crashes here and there and comparing to BF1942 it is very fast between map changes smile

Hates too quick judgement.

aka Gameplayer or Gameplayer500

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Infos: » It is time to order a new server (r) (Summary of discussion so far + options for a new server)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: