[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » UltraWide Monitor (r) (resolution setup)
UltraWide Monitor (r)
sonikglightDate: Monday, 2016-08-15, 3:48 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Recruit
Awards: 6
hi

Just got a New Monitor for my PC here are the specs https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM68-P-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01BMES072

Now my question is how can I get it set up for 2560x
1080  in game?

I'm running origin copy of bf1942.

sonik9speed aka Winbean aka Winlite

PumiasekDate: Monday, 2016-08-15, 2:40 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant
Group: Trusted
Awards: 3
Hello
The maximum resolution supported by the BF1942 is 2560x1600

http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/21-13-1

starking018Date: Monday, 2016-08-15, 6:07 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
Yep, follow the instructions there. You will probably not find that resolution in the menu, so you'll have to enter it manually in the mentioned config file and make it read only. By the way, despite what it says there, there is potentially a slight benefit to setting the highest refresh rate (in your case 75Hz instead of 60Hz) even on a LCD screen. When your PC is able to output at least 75 frames per second and your monitor is refreshing the picture 75 times a second, rather than 60, basically the picture arrives with slightly less of a delay (a few milliseconds). It should slightly improve the ability to react quickly in-game, but more so for those who can go from 60Hz to e.g. 120Hz.

So you should enter:
game.setGameDisplayMode 2560 1080 32 75

For the field of view enter 1.75. With that value you'll see as much on the vertical as before (as in e.g. 1.33333 on 16:9), just more on the horizontal. However, the higher field of view and the higher resolution will both lead to a lower framerate. If that turns out to be an issue there are things that can mitigate that. Ask if you need any more help.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

Message edited by starking018 - Monday, 2016-08-15, 6:08 PM

sonikglightDate: Tuesday, 2016-08-16, 8:38 PM | Message # 4
Private
Quote Pumiasek ()
HelloThe maximum resolution supported by the BF1942 is 2560x1600

http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/21-13-1

I did that and got nothing, also there is 2560x1080,  I got this USB bootable from some form and I'm able to select the option.

Now I'm trying to get it on my personal copy of the game onorigin.

I made a video on youtube playing in that resolution here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BevSOYAeME

Message edited by sonikglight - Tuesday, 2016-08-16, 8:45 PM

starking018Date: Wednesday, 2016-08-17, 1:23 AM | Message # 5
Colonel
Quote sonikglight ()
I got this USB bootable from some form

I didn't get that part. Did you get a portable version (or some other version) of Battlefield 1942 which shows the 2560x1080 resolution available in the video options menu? In that case I see two approaches to make this work:

1. Use files from the portable version which works, instead of the files from the Origin version.
Go to the folder where Video.con is (see the linked topic again) and clear the read-only attribute.
Before you replace files, make a backup copy of them.
Then try replacing Origin's bf1942.exe with the one from the version which allows the resolution (portable version or whatever it is). Launch bf1942.exe and see if you can select the resolution and if everything works fine.
Note that this way Battlefield 1942 will no longer work with Origin. It will be more like the retail version. You'll have to start it from a shortcut or some other way. All your settings and mods will still be there. The game may or may not read the CD-key from the same place in the registry. Now this only matters for not getting the "CD-key in use" error message and for preserving the stats at Gametracker.
If replacing just bf1942.exe doesn't work, you can try replacing all the files except those in \Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings, \Battlefield 1942\Mods\FH and \Battlefield 1942\Mods\FHSW and try again.

2. Try to make the resolution work on the Origin version.
Maybe the 75Hz refresh rate doesn't work for some reason. If you are not sure, try 60Hz first.
I think the game didn't like the settings in Video.con and the fact that it was read-only and so it may have created a new Video.con file with default contents in My Documents\Battlefield 1942\mods\BF1942\Settings\Profiles\XYZ\. Battlefield 1942 likes to do this sometimes, and then the config files under "My Documents" (or "Documents" or whatever it's called in your Windows version) are used, and the corresponding config files under the game's folder are ignored. So if this is the case, basically you would have to do the same thing with this newly created file, as you did with the other Video.con file, and that way the game will be forced to try to use these settings and not restore default settings. So, make sure you have the "game.setGameDisplayMode 2560 1080 32 60" or "game.setGameDisplayMode 2560 1080 32 75" line in the Video.con file you modified (under the game's folder) and that it is read-only, and then copy this file to My Documents\Battlefield 1942\mods\BF1942\Settings\Profiles\XYZ\ to overwrite that new Video.con file. The read-only attribute should carry over when the file is copied. Then join a server and see what resolution it is at in-game. If this doesn't work, then I think it would mean that the Origin version's bf1942.exe just doesn't support this resolution.

Please report what works and what doesn't.

sonikglightDate: Wednesday, 2016-08-17, 7:02 PM | Message # 6
Private
Quote starking018 ()
Quote sonikglight ()I got this USB bootable from some form

I didn't get that part. Did you get a portable version (or some other version) of Battlefield 1942 which shows the 2560x1080 resolution available in the video options menu? In that case I see two approaches to make this work:

1. Use files from the portable version which works, instead of the files from the Origin version.
Go to the folder where Video.con is (see the linked topic again) and clear the read-only attribute.
Before you replace files, make a backup copy of them.
Then try replacing Origin's bf1942.exe with the one from the version which allows the resolution (portable version or whatever it is). Launch bf1942.exe and see if you can select the resolution and if everything works fine.
Note that this way Battlefield 1942 will no longer work with Origin. It will be more like the retail version. You'll have to start it from a shortcut or some other way. All your settings and mods will still be there. The game may or may not read the CD-key from the same place in the registry. Now this only matters for not getting the "CD-key in use" error message and for preserving the stats at Gametracker.
If replacing just bf1942.exe doesn't work, you can try replacing all the files except those in \Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings, \Battlefield 1942\Mods\FH and \Battlefield 1942\Mods\FHSW and try again.

2. Try to make the resolution work on the Origin version.
Maybe the 75Hz refresh rate doesn't work for some reason. If you are not sure, try 60Hz first.
I think the game didn't like the settings in Video.con and the fact that it was read-only and so it may have created a new Video.con file with default contents in My Documents\Battlefield 1942\mods\BF1942\Settings\Profiles\XYZ\. Battlefield 1942 likes to do this sometimes, and then the config files under "My Documents" (or "Documents" or whatever it's called in your Windows version) are used, and the corresponding config files under the game's folder are ignored. So if this is the case, basically you would have to do the same thing with this newly created file, as you did with the other Video.con file, and that way the game will be forced to try to use these settings and not restore default settings. So, make sure you have the "game.setGameDisplayMode 2560 1080 32 60" or "game.setGameDisplayMode 2560 1080 32 75" line in the Video.con file you modified (under the game's folder) and that it is read-only, and then copy this file to My Documents\Battlefield 1942\mods\BF1942\Settings\Profiles\XYZ\ to overwrite that new Video.con file. The read-only attribute should carry over when the file is copied. Then join a server and see what resolution it is at in-game. If this doesn't work, then I think it would mean that the Origin version's bf1942.exe just doesn't support this resolution.

Please report what works and what doesn't.

This is what exactly I had in mind but , i did some Mitch Matching with "Mods\bf1942\Settings" files and at the same time I did not want to ruin my cd key 
 setup.

I have a CD copy of the game i'll try with it before I do some major Mitch Matching with origin copy because, I'm thinking origin is a problem too.

I'll do it and report back here.

starking018Date: Wednesday, 2016-08-17, 11:54 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
For the CD-key: basically the Origin version bf1942.exe reads the CD-key from one place in the registry and the retail (CD) version bf1942.exe reads the CD-key from another place in the registry. I think you could simply change either value in the registry to anything and it will just work, because the game makes no checks. So you can copy the Origin CD-key value from the registry (which for my version of Windows is located at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Origin\Battlefield 1942\ergc - it may be a little different in yours) and paste it in place of the retail CD-key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 1942\ergc) and you'll keep your origin CD-key hash.

sonikglightDate: Sunday, 2016-08-21, 12:32 PM | Message # 8
Private
Okay got it but, what did is went to the form where i got the usb bootable and ask  http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4843

and is fixed now.

thanks for the replies.

Message edited by sonikglight - Sunday, 2016-08-21, 12:36 PM

starking018Date: Sunday, 2016-08-21, 4:58 PM | Message # 9
Colonel
So did the patch from http://team-simple.org/download/ ("Battlefield 1942 v1.612 Origin executable patched" or "Battlefield 1942 GameSpy patch v1.61") fix the issue? I assumed you had this patch all along smile

sonikglightDate: Sunday, 2016-08-21, 5:59 PM | Message # 10
Private
I just used the 1 "Battlefield 1942 v1.612 Origin executable patched" worked for me well as plan lol.
Quote starking018 ()
I assumed you had this patch all along

But, no I was truly oblivious when I first started this post.

As always thanks for the replies and help.

Message edited by sonikglight - Sunday, 2016-08-21, 6:00 PM

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » UltraWide Monitor (r) (resolution setup)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: