[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » forgotten hope secret weapons portable (r) (portable)
forgotten hope secret weapons portable (r)
sonikglightDate: Thursday, 2017-01-26, 5:14 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Recruit
Awards: 6
I put together bootable FHSW with the bf1942 and all in a folder, I'm having one issue here.

When people download this, I want them to be able to see that folder with the executable icon next to it, so they can go straight to the game or better straight to the server.

Any ideas to fix this icon issue?

P.S. Your able to boot it up from a USB stick or portable hard drive too.

sonik9speed aka Winbean aka Winlite

Message edited by sonikglight - Thursday, 2017-01-26, 5:17 AM

Born-1942Date: Thursday, 2017-01-26, 6:48 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 16
You will have to do a file transfer or even reinstall everything that has been downloaded. That's what I think, I do not know, so if anything goes wrong, I apologize.

Nicknames BornDarkness and Soldado da Wehrmacht

sonikglightDate: Thursday, 2017-01-26, 7:46 PM | Message # 3
Private
no need to install it, the only problem is you got to go in the folder and click on on the execution icon

starking018Date: Friday, 2017-01-27, 1:10 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Awards: 22
It's a good idea doing this. I was planning to do something similar.

To your question: users will have different drive letter and path to bf1942.exe, and I don't know how to make a shortcut (.lnk file) with only a relative path to bf1942.exe and the icon file, so that it can work anywhere. But you can do this in a batch file (except that it won't show the FHSW or even the BF1942 icon, but a different one), plus, you can add more useful or perhaps necessary things in there, such as launching a compatibility fix or generating and setting a random CD-key on the first run. Here's a script for launching FHSW if your game folder is called "Battlefield 1942" (save this in a .bat file):

Code
cd "Battlefield 1942"
bf1942.exe +game fhsw +restart 1

and to directly join our server:

Code
cd "Battlefield 1942"
bf1942.exe +game fhsw +restart 1 +joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567

The other features (compatibility fix and generating a CD-key) are dependent on operating system and would require some googling and testing to get them right.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

RADIOSMERSHDate: Friday, 2017-01-27, 3:35 PM | Message # 5
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote starking018 ()
except that it won't show the FHSW or even the BF1942 icon, but a different one
You can convert batch file to .exe using special utility, like this one.

sonikglightDate: Friday, 2017-01-27, 5:36 PM | Message # 6
Private
Quote starking018 ()
you can add more useful or perhaps necessary things in there, such as launching a compatibility fix or generating and setting a random CD-key on the first run.

I tested it and I don't think cd key is much of a issue because, when I get in the game with the same file on two different computers, it seemed to generate two different CD key hashes.

this "+joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567" I really need for final product.

"+restart 1" what is this 1 for?

thanks for the reply.

Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
You can convert batch file to .exe using special utility, like this one.

I'll look at it, I think I was using something like this but having some hard time with it http://jrsoftware.org/

Thanks for the reply.

starking018Date: Friday, 2017-01-27, 6:56 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
"+restart 1" makes it skip the intro and videos.

sonikglightDate: Tuesday, 2017-01-31, 7:31 AM | Message # 8
Private
Hey been kinda busy with work, if any 1 want to help out with this issue send me a pm and I'll send you a link to DL it.

I want to have it ez extract file where players just click and play.

PS

My vision to have a nice box art so it looks appealing to potential players and they click and play.

Added (2017-01-31, 6:31 AM)
---------------------------------------------
I think this line might be to much for the game " +restart 1 +joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567" it seems to crash a lote on the first time, second time get a cd key in use error  but the mod is loaded up witch is good.

This " +game fhsw" work just fine, now this is on my computer.

" +game fhsw +joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567" just loads the mod up.

Message edited by sonikglight - Tuesday, 2017-01-31, 7:40 AM

wewakDate: Tuesday, 2017-01-31, 2:27 PM | Message # 9
Lieutenant Colonel
Awards: 3
You dont need to load the mod when you are using the JoinServer command, it loads the mod automatically when you join the server.
The Cd Key in use error is probably because you try to rejoin the server too fast and your old cd key is still in the server for 30 seconds or so.

starking018Date: Wednesday, 2017-02-01, 6:30 PM | Message # 10
Colonel
When you try to join the server without loading the mod (whether through the interface or through the command line arguments) what BF1942.exe does is this:
First, it connects to the server, learns that the current mod on the server is FHSW, then it restarts itself with this exact command line:
Code
BF1942.exe +game fhsw +restart 1 +joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567 +isInternet 1 +password ''

I can see this in a program called Process Explorer (it's like a more advanced Task Manager). If BF1942.exe isn't well configured to run on your OS, and it crashes at some point while still connected to the server, it will cause the CD key in use error for the next 30 seconds or so. It would be nice to find what causes this crash issue and how to fix it (probably something to do with compatibility modes and settings), because it may also occur at other times.

So the +restart 1 command line argument is what BF1942.exe itself uses when it needs to restart itself (also happens when the map changes). Apparently skipping the intros is just one effect. It seems to be necessary when you want to use the +joinServer argument, otherwise it doesn't join the server. So, to save a few seconds when joining the server, and to avoid any potential crash (although you should fix this anyway) you need all three arguments: "+game fhsw +restart 1 +joinServer 5.9.54.21:14567" (I don't know if the last two: "+isInternet 1 +password ''" make any difference).

Quote sonikglight ()
Hey been kinda busy with work, if any 1 want to help out with this issue send me a pm and I'll send you a link to DL it.

I want to have it ez extract file where players just click and play.

I wouldn't mind doing some testing of this and answering some questions, but I think getting it to work on any version of Windows by clicking just one file may take some effort. I think I'd rather put my effort in another approach which I was planning. It's a virtual appliance for VirtualBox (or other virtual machine software). It's about making a whole virtual machine with an old version of Windows installed on it (so, no Windows-related compatibility issues, and hopefully no unwillingness by people to host and advertise the download because of copyrights) and installing FHSW on it. The user would have to download and install VirtualBox (or other virtual machine software), download the virtual appliance as one or a few large files, then clicking that starts the virtual machine with FHSW running in it. The whole process would be about the same on all major operating systems (even Linux, Mac OS). I haven't completed this yet to see if it works and how the performance is, but from what I read somewhere, Battlefield 1942 can run fine on VirtualBox.

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » forgotten hope secret weapons portable (r) (portable)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: