[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Announcements » BF 1942 released for FREE!! (r)
BF 1942 released for FREE!! (r)
WRüttgerDate: Monday, 2012-11-05, 7:38 PM | Message # 1
Sergeant
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 0
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-1942

The good old and beloved BF42 was released by EA to be downloaded via Origin for free until March 2013 booze respect

Stefan1990Date: Monday, 2012-11-05, 7:41 PM | Message # 2
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 10
Is this a remake of Battlefield 1942?
No. This is the original game Battlefield 1942, for the first time available as a digital download on Origin.

How much does it cost?
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Battlefield 1942, we are offering this full game at no cost. We want everyone to be able to see where it all started.

Does this free digital download version include an of the expansion packs originally released for Battlefield 1942 (The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WWII)?
No.

Can I play online against players who have the original disc-based version?
Unfortunately, no. This Origin digital download version can only be played against other players who are using the same version. But since it’s free for everyone, everyone can download their own copy of the game. This version of the game will only show applicable (new) servers in the server browser.

What are the differences between this version and the original disc-based version of Battlefield 1942?
No practical differences. We have done some under the hood work to make this game from 2002 work as a digital download title on Origin.

Can I run a server for the game?
Yes. Run the “DedicatedServer.exe” file that will be visible in your installation directory.

I have problems connecting to online games
Please note that a sudden surge of players into Battlefield 1942 may make online play temporarily unstable. If this happens, please try again later.

Can I use this version of the game together with old Battlefield 1942 mods?
This is untested and we cannot guarantee any mod functionality.

Will I need to patch this version of the game?
No. This version includes any updates needed. If we were to update this version of the game in the future (this is not likely), we will do so via Origin.

I have a question that is not answered here. Where do I go?
Please note that while we are proud to present this game to all of our fans after 10 years, we are not able to actively support it from a customer support standpoint. Please direct any technical questions to the EA Answer HQ forums at this URL: http://answers.ea.com/ where we will set up a specific Battlefield 1942 section.[i]

WRüttgerDate: Monday, 2012-11-05, 8:17 PM | Message # 3
Sergeant
Read something like that...what a pity

Santa-AnnaDate: Monday, 2012-11-05, 9:07 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant Colonel
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 19
Unfortunately, no. This Origin digital download version can only be played against other players who are using the same version. But since it’s free for everyone, everyone can download their own copy of the game. This version of the game will only show applicable (new) servers in the server browser.

- Can I play...
- FUCK NO!

I didnt understand, what is the use of this release.

Mr_JDate: Monday, 2012-11-05, 9:36 PM | Message # 5
Accessory Admin
Awards: 22
Quote (Stefan1990)

Maybe finally I'll get an answer about my personal messages, Mr Stefan...

ningen_yayDate: Monday, 2012-11-05, 11:13 PM | Message # 6
Private
Group: Friends
Awards: 1
I am very glad. !! biggrin

Japan wiki
http://www4.atwiki.jp/battlefield1942
Japan forum
http://bb2.atbb.jp/bf1942/index.php

Endless_NamelessDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 0:23 AM | Message # 7
General
Awards: 38
It might be wise to switch to the Origin version if no one is able to create any sort of compatibility patch.

Almost 4000 players online today, not bad.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Fritz-KempfDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 0:27 AM | Message # 8
FHSW Wikia Admin
Awards: 12
This is more an "meet the game" file. They will just put it free as a demo thing to try to sell the original game.

WRüttgerDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 5:15 PM | Message # 9
Sergeant
FH and FHSW seem to run, there are even japanese server online...and soooo many vanilla servers full of players

PanzerKampfDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 5:21 PM | Message # 10
Private
Group: Recruit
I saw on Pixel-Fighter Forum that FH/FHSW/EoD/DCF and others mods are working on Origin BF1942. So, I think that's a good chance 4 our community to grow! We should only reeinstall the mod in Origin directory and that's all (I think). We just need to move the server to the Origin system.

Fritz-KempfDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 5:42 PM | Message # 11
FHSW Wikia Admin
Quote (WRüttger)
FH and FHSW seem to run, there are even japanese server online...and soooo many vanilla servers full of players

You can run FHSW via the free BF1942?

Endless_NamelessDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 6:02 PM | Message # 12
General
Yes it works, I tried it. They didn't change anything on the files as far as I can see, it's just that you need Origin to play it.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Fritz-KempfDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 6:03 PM | Message # 13
FHSW Wikia Admin
So this is good news! I test it to! We should can use this as a good promotion for FHSW! They don't need to buy and they can try out! Pitty it is just for a while.

Endless_NamelessDate: Tuesday, 2012-11-06, 11:27 PM | Message # 14
General
So what do the others think about a switch to the Origin version? I even played a lot of vanilla today and it was funny seeing all those new players failing to open the ramp on the landing crafts and accidentally shooting their red team mates. I regained some motivation for FHSW because this could be another chance for more players.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Fritz-KempfDate: Wednesday, 2012-11-07, 3:19 AM | Message # 15
FHSW Wikia Admin
For me it is good, but this is just for a moment right? I suggest also to start a petition to keep the game free.

WRüttgerDate: Wednesday, 2012-11-07, 7:45 AM | Message # 16
Sergeant
This might be good for Vanilla BF, but how should a new player take notice of all the mods?

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2012-11-07, 3:37 PM | Message # 17
General
I'm sure a lot of them know of the existance of mods, many mentioned DC/FH/EoD while I read through various forums. Many veterans also came back to the game.

There's nothing to lose for us here because no one is going to buy the retail version now. Several other servers switched already or at least created a second server for the Origin version.

tuia also created a patched server exe which fixes two exploits: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=702

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Wednesday, 2012-11-07, 10:00 PM | Message # 18
Accessory Admin
Uhm, personally I would rethink it twice before doing any serious moves. What will happen if it fails? What will happen after March 2013? Is eYe's installer compatible with Origin's installation? WRüttger said that it's possible to make 2 virtual servers on 1 machine and it would be probably the best solution. Moreover I wouldn't take a risk of losing currect player base.

Anyway, at this moment server is off for the last 2 days and I don't have idea why is so!

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2012-11-07, 11:24 PM | Message # 19
General
What has to be changed on the server to get it running? Just replacing the server exe or more? Splitting up the server harms the player count on both sides imo. No one is online during the week so I don't see how we could lose any players. wink

btw. you can have both versions (CD & Origin) installed at the same time and play them.

Late Edit: But I agree we should wait for working installers.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Thursday, 2012-11-08, 6:56 PM | Message # 20
Accessory Admin
Quote (Endless_Nameless)
What has to be changed on the server to get it running? Just replacing the server exe or more?

yes i think so, + some .dll

Quote (Endless_Nameless)
Late Edit: But I agree we should wait for working installers.

FH0.7 installers have to be repacked too! I fact the Origin BF42 is a different version of game (1.612) therefore installer "thinks" that wrong version is installed.

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Announcements » BF 1942 released for FREE!! (r)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: