[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Strasbourg map conversion
Strasbourg map conversion
mambabf42Date: Saturday, 2020-12-05, 2:24 AM | Message # 1
Sergeant
Group: Recruit
Awards: 1
Hi all,

I would like to convert a custom map I made for BF1942 called Strasbourg. More info on the map here: https://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=125951#p125951

The converted map would contain FHSW vehicles but because it has already been lightmapped, static object ports from FHSW to the map are not possible.

The map would be a push map where the French Army must recapture control points in the city of Strasbourg, held by the Germans.

The original map (in BF1942) comes with a Spitfire for the Allied side which I originally planned to replace with a Dewoitine D.520 but after some quick research I think I will remove the plane from the map so it is armour only. 

Will post the final RFA once the map has been ported to FHSW properly. 

Cheers,

Mamba

Stefan1990Date: Saturday, 2020-12-05, 12:38 PM | Message # 2
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 10
Hey Mamba!

Nice to see you here! Cant wait to see your map in FHSW!
I hope we can add the map in our new Mappack!

bubuDate: Saturday, 2020-12-05, 7:20 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Awards: 31
Awesome Mamba! Thanks a lot for doing this smile

When you release could you please PM me here on forums?

mambabf42Date: Tuesday, 2020-12-08, 0:25 AM | Message # 4
Sergeant
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I did a quick conversion to see how the map would look like in FHSW. Everything seems to be OK, but I have some comments to make.

First of all, I'm not really aware of how the ''push map'' system works. I want to modify the map so that the French capture each flag in order, and Axis can't recap. Does anyone have an idea of the code behind the push map system real quick? If not, I'll just look at the FHSW level RFAs.

Second, since this map was originally meant to be a BF1942 custom map, it has a lot of vanilla statics, especially large structures like buildings. Now I'm not really a fan of having a lot of vanilla statics in a mod like FHSW, however I don't believe I have the non-lightmapped DDS ground texture files on my computer, meaning replacing the vanilla assets with FH/FHSW objects can be done, but these new objects won't match the lightmapped ground (shadows won't match). 

Thirdly, I am going to need a Photoshop PSD template of the loading screen please, if anyone has this, so that I can create a better loading screen for the map. The one I have now is not adapted for FHSW. The template should be 800x600 pixels in size.

What I've done so far + general map description:

- Ported a couple of vehicles from FH/FHSW like the Dewoitine D.520 (for testing purposes, it can be removed later as I don't think it was used in this particular battle) and the Somua S35 tank.
- Ported the Howitzer 105 mm static artillery gun for the French. I can't find any appropriate French artillery guns that would have been used in this battle; if you know any please let me know.
- The French have a mix of American and French vehicles (M4A1 Shermans, Somua S35s, Char B1, Willy, M3A1 Halftrack)
- The Germans have typical vanilla vehicles; these could be changed to be more accurate for the battle (Panzer IV, Wespe, Pak40, hanomag).
- There are plenty of Flak38 AA guns on rooftops in German occupied Strasbourg, if the Dewoitine is not to be used these can also be removed in the ObjectSpawns.con.

I'm going to make a few more adjustments for the vehicles and post a preliminary test version of the map, which I'll PM to you bubu.

If anyone has suggestions for preferred kits, please let me know. Other suggestions are also welcome.

Kindest regards,

Black Mamba

bubuDate: Tuesday, 2020-12-08, 7:57 AM | Message # 5
Colonel
Wow, that's awesome smile

@E-3 / Radio? Please could you assist Mamba above with the questions on push map, statics, and light maps.

Quote mambabf42 ()
I'm going to make a few more adjustments for the vehicles and post a preliminary test version of the map, which I'll PM to you bubu
Thanks a lot ^^. When you ping me the test version, I will put it on the test server so we can see it works.

Quote mambabf42 ()
If anyone has suggestions for preferred kits, please let me know. Other suggestions are also welcome.
A bit of US then-on-US-TV video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PyujRcm-0 shows ME262s and 263s Komets fighting with allied airforce but I wouldn't like to make this map another heavy weapon over-filled galore like Alpenfesting (lol).
Then we could witness M3 AT gun towed by M3A1 (0:33-0:35), M8 75mm howitzer (1:46/2:25), M10 Wolverine (2:05), M8 Greyhoumd (2:10), all among numerous sights of M4A1 Shermans. The French divisions were 1st and 2nd Armored (acc. wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberation_of_Strasbourg)

Order of battle of 1st Armored:
- 9th African Chasseur: régiment de chasseurs de chars équipé de Tank Destroyer (TD)
- 38e groupe de FTA : artillerie antiaérienne
- 291e compagnie de transport

Order of battle of 2nd Armored:
- 1er Régiment de Marche de Spahis Marocains (M3 Stuart reconnaissance battalion)
- 12e Régiment de Chasseurs d’Afrique (M4 Sherman tank battalion)
- 12e Régiment de Cuirassiers (M4 Sherman tank battalion)
- 501e Régiment de Chars de Combat (M4 Sherman tank battalion)
- Régiment de Marche du Tchad (M3 half-track mechanized infantry)
- Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins (M10 Wolverine tank destroyer battalion)
- I/3e Régiment d'Artillerie Coloniale (M7 Priest self propelled artillery battalion)
- I/40e Régiment d'Artillerie Nord Africain (M7 Priest self propelled artillery battalion)
- Transport companies

Germans (most probably) had 113th Panzer Division in the area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/113th_Panzer_Brigade), with Pnz 4H and Panther tanks including:
- 2113th Panzer Battalion
- 1/130th Panzer Regiment
- 2113th Panzer Grenadier Regiment
- 2113th Brigade Support Units
- 2113th Panzer Reconnaissance Battalion
- 2113th Flak Company
- 2113th Sturmgeschütz Battalion

From map of http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwa....-26.jpg (source http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwa....1.html) it is apparent the Axis had not much apart from 3 Volksgrenadier divisions (361st, 553rd, 708th) and Panzer Lehr division in the north, which is the 1/130th Panzer Regiment suggesting the 113th pnz. div.

Note the battle is part of bigger operation Nordwind, so it is difficult to find a lot of information (afaik) but page linked above says a lot, just don't have time to read it all.

If anyone knows more or finds more please post  happy

jeanstonezeDate: Tuesday, 2020-12-08, 1:45 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant
Awards: 7
Quote mambabf42 ()
First of all, I'm not really aware of how the ''push map'' system works. I want to modify the map so that the French capture each flag in order, and Axis can't recap. Does anyone have an idea of the code behind the push map system real quick?
There are special objects in fhsw files called killercage or pushcage. Pushcage is kinda invisible double pyramid that you physically cant enter inside, and other types (killercage, killercagevisible, axis/allieskillerobjecthard) are just circles which have dead zone inside, so you also cant enter but in different way. You should connect every killercage to the previous push flag (for cage around flag 2 you should connect it to 1) and make it spawning only for defending team. So when flag 1 is holded by defenders, cage is here, and when attackers take it, cage disappears. Killercagevisible is decorative thing, so if you write on minimap that the map is pushmode its not really useful. And as for defenders, you can just set in Ed42 or ControlPointTemplates that this flag can only be taken by Team 2 (still you can add the cage, but even without cage defenders cant re-take the flag).
You can still take a look at some fhsw map, Raseiniai for example.
Quote mambabf42 ()
Second, since this map was originally meant to be a BF1942 custom map, it has a lot of vanilla statics, especially large structures like buildings. Now I'm not really a fan of having a lot of vanilla statics in a mod like FHSW, however I don't believe I have the non-lightmapped DDS ground texture files on my computer, meaning replacing the vanilla assets with FH/FHSW objects can be done, but these new objects won't match the lightmapped ground (shadows won't match).
 When I tried lightmapping in BC42, it crashes for me, but maybe there were too much statics there (about 4200), so Im not sure if you can do it. There's not much new city buildings in fhsw though, and many maps use vanilla one, but if you want new objects, you can try.
Quote mambabf42 ()
Thirdly, I am going to need a Photoshop PSD template of the loading screen please, if anyone has this, so that I can create a better loading screen for the map. The one I have now is not adapted for FHSW. The template should be 800x600 pixels in size.
You can find loading screen templates in bfdev/menu/Texture/load, and convert the pics to psd with XnView classic. Here is a ready template though:
Code
https://yadi.sk/i/beZ1O0YXeqIM0g

The loading screen doesnt need to be 800x600 btw, you can do it 1920x1080 or anything.

Jan Paul a.k.a. DALlDA

hakansprayDate: Wednesday, 2020-12-09, 5:36 PM | Message # 7
Sergeant
Group: Trusted
Awards: 0
Quote mambabf42 ()
I saw in the gamefiles there are french kit icons I have not seen on any map. These being icons for BAR1918, M1 Carbine for engineers and the Bazooka. Seeing as the French have a lot of shermans and other American equipment it would fit.

Also I do not think using vanilla assets is an issue. Since it means the High-Defition Remaster can be used to replace most of these assets with quite looking ones.

aka Hawken (Ingame)
aka Rikskorp (Wiki)

Message edited by hakanspray - Wednesday, 2020-12-09, 7:00 PM

starking018Date: Wednesday, 2020-12-09, 5:41 PM | Message # 8
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
From @somebody009j#6820 on the Japanese language FHSW+BF1942 mods discord:
FH_LoadScreenSimple.zip
It's a template in XCF format (for GIMP?) and also includes the font file for the text.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

mambabf42Date: Wednesday, 2020-12-09, 10:16 PM | Message # 9
Sergeant
Thanks guys.

Jan Paul, thank you for your explanation on how the pushcage system works. I have added it to the map. All that remains now is to add numbers to the minimap to tell the attacking side which flags to capture first.

Is there a transparent variant of the pushcage object? I noticed that it adds a bundle of static objects around the flags, and I don't want that because on some flag locations the objects intersect with other surrounding objects, or go into them. If not, I'll just render the texture(s) that the pushcage object uses to be transparent.

Thanks for the loading screen templates. I use GIMP so the XCF format is perfect here.

The map should be ready for a preliminary test soon. All that remains now is to fix the loading screen image, the minimap for the flag capture order, and add the correct vehicles for each side. 

After the first test of the map to check vehicle balance and other things, I will publish a secondary version of the map with more trees, power transmission poles for roads, more bushes and layers of grasses around the map. Also note that the terrain is quite flat, I will probably make the terrain bumpier at places especially in the urban area of the map. 

I also just noticed that this battle took place in November, so the green surface textures are kind of inappropriate. If anyone wants to rise to the occasion and retexture the whole surface maps with fall textures, you are free to do so. Lightmaps will also have to be redone if you choose to do this however, and the deciduous trees should have fall colors (orange, brown, etc).

hakansprayDate: Thursday, 2020-12-10, 10:09 AM | Message # 10
Sergeant
Yeah I initially thought the FHSW conversion would be for the battle of France '39/40 with how the green the map is. But the battle to once again retake the Strasbourg catedral has some more flair historically.

aka Hawken (Ingame)
aka Rikskorp (Wiki)

mambabf42Date: Thursday, 2020-12-10, 6:08 PM | Message # 11
Sergeant
Well, I could always make two maps. One called « The Fall of Strasbourg 1940 » and the other called « Liberation of Strasbourg » with the fall textures.

jeanstonezeDate: Saturday, 2020-12-12, 4:51 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant
Awards: 7
Quote mambabf42 ()
Is there a transparent variant of the pushcage object? I noticed that it adds a bundle of static objects around the flags, and I don't want that because on some flag locations the objects intersect with other surrounding objects, or go into them. If not, I'll just render the texture(s) that the pushcage object uses to be transparent.
There is, its called "AxiskillerObject5mHard" or "AllieskillerObject5mHard". Its invisible death bubble. Axiskillerobject will kill axis players, and allies=allies. Also, there are three variations of this object, 5m radius, 10m radius and 25m.

Jan Paul a.k.a. DALlDA

mambabf42Date: Monday, 2020-12-28, 2:25 AM | Message # 13
Sergeant
Here it is guys: Liberation of Strasbourg

This is a preliminary version of the BF1942 to FHSW conversion of my Strasbourg map. I say preliminary because I'd like to add a few more details to the map for it to be considered "finished". Nevertheless, the map is ready for testing on an Internet server.

I've made a custom loading screen for the map the best way I could. The map is France vs Germany.

France has the following armament:

- 3x 105 mm Howitzers
- 1x Browning stationary machinegun
- 3x M4A1 Shermans
- 2x Willy Jeeps
- 1x Dewoitine D.520 (can be removed from ObjectSpawns.con)
- 1x Greyhound
- 1x Priest
- 1x M10 heavy tank
- 1x M3A1 APC

Germany has the following armament:

- 4x Panzer IV H tanks
- 2x Panther tanks
- 5x Pak40 static artillery pieces
- 3x Flak38 AA guns
- 4x MG42 stationary machineguns
- 2x KettenKrads
- 1x Hanomag APC

Plus I remmed out a bunch of infantry weapon kits that I'd like to fix for a future release.

Things to do:

- Add ambient sound on the map
- Add water sounds around water body shores
- Add more trees and vegetation to the map (1679 statics currently)
- Break the flat terrain patterns around the map (especially in the city and main bases)
- A few more FH/FHSW statics and props could be added around the main bases for aesthetics
- Make the pushcages transparent

The map was tested on a local server. I don't know how it will behave online but everything should be in order.

I wish everyone a happy holiday season!

Cheers,

Mamba

Message edited by mambabf42 - Monday, 2020-12-28, 2:39 AM

hakansprayDate: Monday, 2020-12-28, 1:05 PM | Message # 14
Sergeant
Great work! I've made this loading screen if you want to use it. FYI it's based on yours. Here is the link to picture in the "TGA" format.
Attachments: 4617103.jpg (175.9 Kb)

aka Hawken (Ingame)
aka Rikskorp (Wiki)

Message edited by hakanspray - Monday, 2020-12-28, 8:56 PM

mambabf42Date: Monday, 2020-12-28, 8:25 PM | Message # 15
Sergeant
Thanks hakan! 

Gotta admit, your loading screen is much better than mine. I think I’ll use it.

Also, in the XCF file you provided there are a bunch of layers for added shade effects on the text, I don’t really know how to make these work.

hakansprayDate: Monday, 2020-12-28, 8:29 PM | Message # 16
Sergeant
XCF file? I hope I provided the TGA file which you can just drop in to the map rfa file? Nevermind you probably meant the file Starking had.

Also from looking at the map it seems the French have both fewer and less effective tanks and no ranged AT weapon either as a kit or on the ground. Though as they capture they get more and Germans less and Urban areas favour satchels and expacks against tankts it might be balanced.

Also if you want AT guns the allies only have the "6pdrATgun" and "6PdrATL63", they are similar to the PAK40 except for lacking HE.

aka Hawken (Ingame)
aka Rikskorp (Wiki)

Message edited by hakanspray - Monday, 2020-12-28, 8:50 PM

mambabf42Date: Monday, 2020-12-28, 8:40 PM | Message # 17
Sergeant
Yes, I have the TGA. This was concerning starking's post, he sent the XCF template for GIMP to build the loading screen.

mambabf42Date: Monday, 2020-12-28, 11:22 PM | Message # 18
Sergeant
I've made a patch of the map today, here are the changes:

Changes (28-12-2020)
- New map loading screen made by hakanspray
- Fixed the thumbnail.dds picture
- Each capable flag has an area value of 20 now, compared to 25 before
- Flag radiuses reduced from 10 to 5
- Axis APC spawner replaced by a light tank spawner
- Fixed the minimap to add numbers close to the control points
- Fixed a bunch of static artillery positions
- Removed the Dewoitine D.520 spawn for Allied and the Flak38 AA spawns for Axis
- Added ambient wind sound

Here is the patch file, simply add it to your FHSW levels folder, keeping the liberation_of_strasbourg.rfa file there.

liberation_of_strasbourg_001.rfa

A few notes I'd like to add:

- The map is a pushmap type of map. Axis cannot recap the flags they lost, and Allies must capture the flags held by the German in the order written on the minimap.
- I removed all the Flak38 AAs on the rooftops and the Dewoitine D.520 because I want all the action to be infantry and tanks only. If anyone wishes to do a server-side add-on of the map, the spawners for the Dewoitine and the Flak38s are still in the ObjectSpawnTemplates.con file, and all one needs to do is unrem the spawns for these vehicles in the ObjectSpawns.con file.
- The Axis has an advanced spawn located midway between their main base and the Strasbourg_cathedral flag. That advanced spawn is also the spawn location of a light tank.
- The Allies have to capture all the flags on the map to inflict bleed on the Axis side.
- It would be nice to set up some sort of beta testing event to make sure the map is balanced properly and work out other issues. The map and it's patch haven't been tested on an Internet server yet.

Here is a video of the latest version of the converted map:

Message edited by mambabf42 - Tuesday, 2020-12-29, 1:20 AM

waldhurzakDate: Tuesday, 2020-12-29, 2:35 AM | Message # 19
Captain
Awards: 5
I think loadscreen need some real wwii strasborg pictures

like this one ls is great https://imgur.com/IbIPIVv

Best Bf1942 version for FHSW:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/818jqqez94ka80h/BF1942-HD.rar

rafal

Message edited by waldhurzak - Tuesday, 2020-12-29, 3:41 AM

bubuDate: Tuesday, 2020-12-29, 10:53 AM | Message # 20
Colonel
Hi Mamba, thx for the SSM, applied now.

However, me and Air Troll tested the map yesterday and there are couple of improvements required to make it FHSW-style. Please could you:

- Team lock all vehicles that are not counterspawns
- Add MG34 or MG42 in bunker in german main, and where you feel it is suitable
- There invisible wall next to locomotive due to the lock cage and lock cages on both bridges block the vehicle/infantry movement. Could you make them so current flag holder team can move over it but opposite team gets killed when accessing the cage? I saw such style on many maps.
- Add bayonets to all kits along with the knife (FHSW standard)

US/French additions:
- Add short 75mm m5 stuart
- Add M1 garand kit for french.
- Add pickup kits: Springfield sniper kit and MG kit with mines in main
- Add 2x harley davidson bike
- Change the vanilla jeep for jeep with MG on top
- Add m3a1 APC with bofors on top
- Add m3a1 APC at the end should be spawn point
- Add M18 HMC with 105mm howitzer (similar to Foy)
- Replace M1 105mm static howitzer for French 155mm mle 1917 howitzer
- M4A1 Shermans are outdated from Africa - by 1944 Allies mostly used Sandbagged M4A3 shermans
- Add 1x M4a3 76,2mm gun Sherman as addition to the 2 M4A3s

German additions:
- SDKFZ Mobile AA (even with no planes it is good for any infantry purposes and light AT)
- Hanomag with pak40 attached in the main
- Add 2x BMW sidebikes with MGs
- Add 1x Brummbar self-propelled artillery in main
- PNZ4H in main needs to be one with the grenade launcher on top. Rest of them can say without it.
- Add 1x Renault R35 Somua tank in Axis captured colours to reflect last ditch defence of Axis

Thanks for your hard work on this map happy

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Strasbourg map conversion
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: