[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Converting FH Vehicles to FHSW equivalents (m) (Some beginner questions about mapmaking)
Converting FH Vehicles to FHSW equivalents (m)
geclepramiDate: Thursday, 2019-02-07, 9:17 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Trusted
Awards: 3
Hi, I just started dabbling in bf1942 mapping and wanted to start converting an old FH map to FHSW (the map is "thealps" by TDP-Asom, it features the 1940 italian invasion of france).

(I have Editor42 and the rfa packer setup and working; and I unpacked the basegame, xpack1 + xpack2, FH, and FHSW into the respective directories).

For starters, I'd like to convert the Tanks, AT guns etc to their fancier FHSW equivalents. Looking at the object spawn templates, I'm getting a bit confused, though:

Let's say I have that FH CharB1 (that unlabeled Ammo UI, no tracers on projectiles, etc); Looking through the object list I just unpacked I would expect that there would be something like an FH and an FHSW variant of both, like charb1 and charb1SW or something. But this is apparently not the case. (I started looking at the ObjectSpawnTemplates.con files directly since Ed42 runs a bit slowly on my laptop).

What do I actually need to do to change these vehicles into their fancier counterparts? Am I missing something obvious here? And are there any other steps I need to take when converting an FH map into FHSW?

Thanks,

Minnie

XenanabDate: Friday, 2019-02-08, 1:08 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Hello Minnie, nice to see you on the forum !

I'm glad you show some interest in FHSW mapping / conversions.

The basic idea of converting a FH map to FHSW is by creating a map file that works as an "update file", setting a preexisting FH map on a clients computer into an updated FHSW version. You can see that with almost every FHSW mapfile when opening it with BGA. A day of zitadelle is nothing more than a update file for a preexisting FH map.
However, if a preexisting map file doesnt exist in vanilla, the expansions or FH you must create a completely new mapfile from scratch.

The map you want to convert is from FH you say ? Does it exist in the basic FH 7.0 version or fanmappack 6 ? If not, you have to create a complete map file for FHSW like I mentioned above.

But before I'm telling you what you can do (it's very simple; I think you are missing something obvious :D), I want to ask: Do you have any permission by the original creator to convert this map ?

geclepramiDate: Saturday, 2019-02-09, 10:58 AM | Message # 3
Lieutenant
Suddenly it works -- I must have screwed up a part before, now I just
change the MapID (and the Icon) and it loads the FHSW stuff just fine!

I asked PFC and they don't want their additions in the map to be used, but
I found a mirror of the original TDP map.

However, I have no idea how to reach Asom (are they still around?
under a different name probably?) to ask him about using it; on the other
hand, he gave permission to PFC to modify and reuse his map so I think
the chances are good he would agree if contacted?

Currently I can run the map and modify it with a humble text editor; Ed42
works, too (always use Ctrl-S to save or it crashes!); so I'm playing around
a bit with object placement biggrin

PS: For the modding, I've followed the tutorials at the start of
this thread http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/35-465-1 so far, now I reread it
and saw you asking the same thing lmao; a really useful resource so far!

Minnie

mardukDate: Saturday, 2019-02-09, 11:47 AM | Message # 4
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 45
@Minnie: we are happy about any player who has the time to mod as well. So I encourage u to keep doing this smile Maybe u like to help us with mappack 3?

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

geclepramiDate: Saturday, 2019-02-09, 6:54 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant
Hey -- depends of the kind of help you need. I'm basically using this map to teach myself mapmaking and I guess this will keep me busy for a bit. But I'm always curious for looking at new maps.

Minnie

mardukDate: Sunday, 2019-02-10, 10:01 AM | Message # 6
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 45
Maybe u like to work on a certain map? Maybe Alpine Line (Italians vs. French 1940)? wink Or others?
I am sure our modding team would appreciate your help.

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

geclepramiDate: Sunday, 2019-02-10, 6:06 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant
Sure, I could take a look later?

For now, I've got a few issues with Editor42, in that it does not seem to always load/display all the objects. E.g. if I want to place an L3 tankette or a maginot turret/cloche, they do not always show up in the searchbox of the object template list.

It seems to work If I first load a map that already has the objects I want (dinant-1940, bizerte, ...) and then load the new map.

I also do not understand how to turn a flag into a mainbase yet, or how to turn on the pushmap mode -- currently the allied main base can be captured too easily by sneaky infantry.

Minnie

FranktheEraserDate: Friday, 2019-03-15, 11:14 PM | Message # 8
Lieutenant
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 5
Quote gecleprami ()
I also do not understand how to turn a flag into a mainbase yet

Hi Minnie Mouse, in your map Disneyland (haha joke), do the following:

Open ControlPointTemplates.con file and in the base you wanna set up as a main one, what you need to change is the following

ObjectTemplate.timeToGetControl 9999
ObjectTemplate.timeToLoseControl 9999

ObjectTemplate.disableIfEnemyInsideRadius 0
ObjectTemplate.disableWhenLosingControl 0
ObjectTemplate.loseControlWhenEnemyClose 1
ObjectTemplate.loseControlWhenNotClose 0

ObjectTemplate.unableToChangeTeam 1

About pushmaps, I have never tried it before, so I can not help you, sorry.

In Soviet Russia, FHSW chooses you. Tkers must be purged. -FraNKVD-

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Converting FH Vehicles to FHSW equivalents (m) (Some beginner questions about mapmaking)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: