Based on our experiences we set up rules for the best mapsetting in order to -GET as many players on the server AND -KEEP as many players on the server as possible.
Procedure and basic stones 1. If you are the first (mapsetting-)admin who joins the server SWITCH OFF THE MAPVOTE (if you do not want that somebody ruins the fightnight with stupid votes)
2. The mapchoices have to be set based on the number of players (which is mostly related to the daytime)
3. Do not change a map midgame only because some players left. In the most cases other players will join after a little time. Think about what you want to set as next and then stick to it! Players don't like the feeling that you do not know what you are doing.
4. It is important to make a change and that means not to set two vanilla maps after another (e.g. El Alamein and then Kharkow Winter). It is FHSW! Also, if you only set the favourite and "awesome" maps (El Alamein, Midway, Prokhorovka, Remagen, Alpenfestung, Eagles Nest, Battle of Leyte 2, etc.) the player numbers will go down after a few weeks. Some players always try to push admins to set those maps because for some reason they do not realize that those become boring if you play them all the time.
5. The more players join, the bigger the maps have to be and the more players leave the smaller the maps have to be. That means an admin has to think one step ahead when the player number is increasing/decreasing.
6. If you are the last admin who leaves the server SWITCH ON THE MAPVOTE.
1. I have evaluated this thread http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/4-665-1 and it clearly shows that most players like maps with tanks/inf/planes from 1943-45. Basically all maps with tanks/inf/planes are popular. But it is the same here: if you set those all the time the player numbers will go down after a few weeks. You need to mix up those maps with others.
2. The evaluation also shows that most players are not interested in naval maps. Just for a change you can set one here and then but basically our players are interested in European land battles.
3. If you set maps following the course of war it will increase immersion for players and they will stay on the server for a longer time.
4. All necessary information about player numbers and maps and the course of war are provided in the attached file mapsetting.