[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Rules: » Rules for mapsetting (m)
Rules for mapsetting (m)
mardukDate: Monday, 2015-03-30, 6:38 AM | Message # 1
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 45
Based on our experiences we set up rules for the best mapsetting in order to
-GET as many players on the server AND
-KEEP as many players on the server as possible.

Procedure and basic stones
1. If you are the first (mapsetting-)admin who joins the server SWITCH OFF THE MAPVOTE
(if you do not want that somebody ruins the fightnight with stupid votes)

2. The map choices have to be set based on the number of players (which is mostly related to the daytime).

3. Do not change a map mid-game only because some players left. In the most cases other players will join
after a little time. Think about what you want to set as next and then stick to it!
Players don't like the feeling that you do not know what you are doing.

4. It is important to make a change and that means not to set two vanilla maps after another (e.g. El Alamein
and then Kharkow Winter). It is FHSW!
Also, if you only set the favourite and "awesome" maps (El Alamein, Midway, Prokhorovka, Remagen, Alpenfestung,
Eagles Nest, Battle of Leyte 2, etc.) the player numbers will go down after a few weeks. Some players always try to
push admins to set those maps because for some reason they do not realize that those become boring if you play
them all the time.

5. The more players join, the bigger the maps have to become and the more players leave the smaller the maps
have to become. That means an admin has to think one step ahead when the player number is increasing/decreasing.

6. If you are the last admin who leaves the server SWITCH ON THE MAPVOTE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation (added 2017-12-29):

1. I have evaluated this thread http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/4-665-1
It clearly shows that most players like maps with tanks/inf/planes from 1943-45. Basically all maps with
tanks/inf/planes are popular.
But it is the same here: if you set those all the time the player numbers will go down after a few weeks.
You need to mix up those maps with others.

2. The evaluation also shows that most players are not interested in naval maps. Just for a change you can set one
here and then but basically our players are interested in European land battles.

3. If you set maps following the course of war it will increase immersion for players and they will stay
on the server for a longer time.

4. All necessary information about player numbers and maps and the course of war are provided in the attached
file mapsetting.
Attachments: Mapsetting.ods (23.9 Kb)

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

Endless_NamelessDate: Monday, 2015-03-30, 7:31 PM | Message # 2
General
Awards: 38
Good initiative. Especially the list seems very handy.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

slobodanDate: Monday, 2015-03-30, 8:30 PM | Message # 3
Koń
Group: Friends
Awards: 53
He's Marduk... but he is right  smile

DeathDate: Friday, 2015-04-03, 7:16 AM | Message # 4
Colonel
Awards: 13
Works for me  tongue
and the list is very helpful

CanukAttakDate: Tuesday, 2015-04-07, 9:58 PM | Message # 5
Captain
Awards: 9
sure sure

sonikglightDate: Sunday, 2016-05-08, 3:20 PM | Message # 6
Private
Group: Recruit
Awards: 6
I've been using FHSW wikipedia to pick the map suitable for the amount of players, and some players requests.

I do have one suggestion to help out with Map making decision, we use FHSW wikipedia.

There we get a clear understanding what map we are about to get into environment and all.

P.S. Me personally I don't think we should play back-to-back Pacific or european or African maps etc.

sonik9speed aka Winbean aka Winlite

Message edited by sonikglight - Sunday, 2016-05-08, 3:21 PM

XenanabDate: Sunday, 2016-05-08, 4:19 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Concerning map setting, the decriptions in the Wikia are not as good as years of gameplay experience in my opinion.

Born-1942Date: Monday, 2017-02-27, 6:38 AM | Message # 8
Colonel
Awards: 16
We can also do the will of the players sometimes regardless of the number, if everyone agrees on a random map.

Nicknames BornDarkness and Soldado da Wehrmacht

mardukDate: Monday, 2017-02-27, 8:32 AM | Message # 9
General
@luiscarlosred: in that case I (sometimes) enable the mapvote one minute before the round ends and start a vote about that certain map
(dont forget to disable the mapvote afterwards wink ).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
A few words to the new admins with rights for mapsetting: I do not want to affront somebody, but you really can not expect to get players on the server when you set big maps like Appeninnes, Leyte day 2 or Alaska when there are only 1-5 players on the server. That has never worked out. You really need to set smaller maps, even if those are overplayed. But there is no real alternative.

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

Born-1942Date: Sunday, 2017-03-05, 7:40 AM | Message # 10
Colonel
Yes, most of the time when I am acting as an admin I make a following I suggest maps for players but have a problem each player chooses something different, I like to ask the map ideas for the players but I will do it this way now by rule.

sonikglightDate: Monday, 2017-03-13, 7:50 AM | Message # 11
Private
Group: Recruit
Awards: 6
Quote luiscarlosred ()
Yes, most of the time when I am acting as an admin I make a following I suggest maps for players but have a problem each player chooses something different, I like to ask the map ideas for the players but I will do it this way now by rule.

All of us has the same problem as admins just do what you think is best to many opinions to fulfill.

sonik9speed aka Winbean aka Winlite

bubuDate: Monday, 2017-04-24, 9:15 AM | Message # 12
Colonel
Awards: 31
Good list,

quick idea: add "Fall of Berlin" and "Paris 1946" to 12-16 players (and more) section?

mardukDate: Friday, 2017-07-28, 9:13 AM | Message # 13
General
@Bubu: I added them to the list.

Also, because at the instance of some unexperienced admin who changed the map in the middle of the round (when there were 20 players on the server), I added a new rule (rule 3) (which I thought was common sense...)

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

GameplayerDate: Friday, 2017-07-28, 11:24 AM | Message # 14
Silver Donator
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 12
Hello guys! This is Gameplayer. Sorry for doing map change middle game. I wanted to play different maps like sea and air. we played land maps since el alamein in the server 27.7 (el alamein, falaice pocket, bulge, chatres). I wanted to make difference there. Sorry for doing that won't doing next time. But I wanted to show that we can play other maps too.

Hates too quick judgement.

aka Gameplayer or Gameplayer500

Born-1942Date: Sunday, 2017-08-06, 3:18 PM | Message # 15
Colonel
I think it's good to differentiate sometimes, we could on some specific day just play maps little played by the players and also maps sea and air. But we would not necessarily play all day maps air and sea just set 2 times, Saturday would be good to do this. But it will only happen if everyone agrees.

mardukDate: Sunday, 2017-08-06, 3:27 PM | Message # 16
General
I see your point but it does not make any sense to have a fixed plan on what days which maps should be played - it always depends on the player number and on the preferences of the players so we need to be flexible.
The most players prefer tank/planes/inf maps and this is why we set them in 80 % of the cases: http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/4-665-1

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

Born-1942Date: Thursday, 2017-08-10, 1:15 AM | Message # 17
Colonel
Yeah, you are right.

mardukDate: Friday, 2017-12-29, 3:45 PM | Message # 18
General
To avoid a misunderstanding because I have been on the server after I announced that I was going to leave: I am just playing a little atm because I have a cold and it's between the years and so I am not doing anything usefull anyway. But I will not be around as much as I used to in the future and that means that you, the other admins, need to start setting maps properly. Otherwise the player numbers will go down.

I am an admin for seven years now and here are some of my experiences to make your job easier:

1. If you only set the favourite and "awesome" maps (El Alamein, Midway, Prokhorovka, Remagen, Alpenfestung, Eagles Nest, Battle of Leyte 2, etc.) the player numbers will go down after a few weeks. Some players always try to push admins to set those maps because for some reason they do not realize that they become boring if you play them all the time.

2. I have evaluated this thread http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/4-665-1 and it clearly shows that most players like maps with tanks/inf/planes from 1943-45. Basically all maps with tanks/inf/planes are popular. But it is the same here as with 1.: if you set those all the time the player numbers will go down after a few weeks. You need to mix up those maps with others.

3. The evaluation also shows that most players do not give a shit about naval maps. Just for a change you can set one here and then but basically our players are interested in European land battles.

4. If you set maps following the course of war it will increase immersion for players and they will stay on the server for a longer time.

5. Do not change a map midgame only because some players left. In the most cases other players will join after a little time. Think about what you want to set as next and then stick to it! Players don't like the feeling that you do not know what you are doing.

6. Disable the mapvote if you do not want that somebody ruins the fightnight with stupid votes.

To be continued...

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2017-12-30, 10:29 AM | Message # 19
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Quote marduk ()
3. The evaluation also shows that most players do not give a shit about naval maps. Just for a change you can set one here and then but basically our players are interested in European land battles.

I absolutely second that. This obsession by some players do play these kind of maps just once a day doesn't meet with what the overall consensus is. Whenever I set Leyte 2 or Rheinübung player numbers rather drop.
People want action and not waiting several minutes inside a ship / plane just to get knocked out immediately. Rather than playing a naval battle once a day we should say: Once a WEEK.
Attachments: 1817755.ods (23.6 Kb)

Message edited by Xenanab - Saturday, 2017-12-30, 10:30 AM

GameplayerDate: Friday, 2018-01-12, 3:40 PM | Message # 20
Silver Donator
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 12
I saw that artic convoy is missing from that list.
Can we add it there?

Hates too quick judgement.

aka Gameplayer or Gameplayer500

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Rules: » Rules for mapsetting (m)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: