[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » English Language » Ammo Type (m) (Changing ammo type)
Ammo Type (m)
GmanDate: Saturday, 2015-01-31, 11:30 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Recruit
Awards: 0
Hi guys,

Just trying the changing ammo type for tanks. when I press Up and down, nothing seems to happen. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

wewakDate: Saturday, 2015-01-31, 1:56 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
Which tank? Not every tank lets you change, just those where it is clearly labled. But for those that let you, you will notice the difference in the trajectory of the shell.

(HH)BenjaminDate: Saturday, 2015-01-31, 4:38 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 9
Excuse me but I'm very confused by this as well, what is the icon, where is it located, and what keys do you use to change it? Also, I'm very frustrated with how to deploy the towed 88/ bofors 40. Do I go into 2 position, and then right click or press space bar and jump out of it real fast? I'm confused on how this works as well.

Message edited by (HH)Benjamin - Saturday, 2015-01-31, 4:42 PM

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2015-01-31, 5:13 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Quote (HH)Benjamin ()
I'm very frustrated with how to deploy the towed 88/ bofors 40. Do I go into 2 position, and then right click or press space bar and jump out of it real fast? I'm confused on how this works as well.

Go to position 2.
Press left or right mouse button (or both can't remeber right now).
Leave the gun immediately by pressing E.
Wait a few seconds.
*shaky cam*
There it is.

Also works the other way round.

Normally Tank destroyers or selfpropelled antitank guns like the Russian ISU or the Jagdpanther offer you two pair types of ammunition:
AP & APHE or HE & AP. You can find that out by looking on the modell drawing of your tank at the bottom of the screen.
If you haven't changed the key controlls of your Battlefield 1942 you just press the up or down arrow buttons (which you should already use to dive with submarines or lower ramps of landing crafts) to change the ammunition.

For example: You are in the StuG IIIG. You normally shoot with AP (armor penetrate) rounds on tanks. But 10 metres in front of you you observe an inf which hides in a house. AP rounds do not cause a big destrucion radius cause they are not really exploding. Just press the arrow button in the direction which the drawing tells you to switch to HE rounds (high explosive). You are now shooting with HE rounds when clicking left mouse button.
How do I know which type of ammo I'm shooting with? The biggest difference between HE and AP is of course the impact effect. But you will also find out that HE rounds do not cause tracers in the air; they are kind of invisible. But HE rounds cannot be used for wide ranges as they have a clear trajectory which is on the other side ideal to overcome hills, buildings, etc.. Shooting with HE is more an artillery thing and NOT effective against armored vehicles. Therefore very effective against infantry and unarmored vehicles like trucks and cars.

On stationary weapons like the Pak40 you are also able to switch ammo types: HE and AP. Again look at the drawing and you will see that the switching keys are also explained there.
Press S once for shooting HE and press W once for shooting with AP. Same goes for Anti Air guns like the Flak 18/88: W for AT (anti tank (like AP)) and S for AA (anti air).

(HH)BenjaminDate: Saturday, 2015-01-31, 6:36 PM | Message # 5
Colonel
Thank you for your detailed answer, I appreciate it. This however, wasn't what I have trouble with. The deploying stuff was very useful, thank you, but the switching ammo isn't what I meant. The type of ammo switching I'm talking about is mainly in self-propelled guns and tanks. In the bottom right corner of screen right next to the ammo info/count, there's a little icon that shows mainly a tank turret in the background and in the foreground arrows going up and down. I have no idea what this means, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the ammo types being used. Do you know what is or what it's used for?

Now, in response to the ammo switching that you are talking about. I know how to switch when you only have two choices, such as W or S for AP or HE. I have trouble when I have three choices, I don't know how to select the middle one. For example, on the 75mm Japanese infantry gun, you have HE- which is W, HEAT- which is S, and then you have Shrapnel- which looks like a period ".", but every time I press period it doesn't work. What key does the dot represent? Thanks for answers

RADIOSMERSHDate: Saturday, 2015-01-31, 6:58 PM | Message # 6
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote (HH)Benjamin ()
In the bottom right corner of screen right next to the ammo info/count, there's a little icon that shows mainly a tank turret in the background and in the foreground arrows going up and down. I have no idea what this means, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the ammo types being used. Do you know what is or what it's used for?

This is the gun gyrostabilizer (in the vertical plane only), installed on Shermans and some other American medium tanks. Though you can't do accurate fire while in move, but it significantly decreases time needed for gun stabilization after tank stops, hence you can make accurate shot immediately after the stop.

Quote (HH)Benjamin ()
Now, in response to the ammo switching that you are talking about. I know how to switch when you only have two choices, such as W or S for AP or HE. I have trouble when I have three choices, I don't know how to select the middle one. For example, on the 75mm Japanese infantry gun, you have HE- which is W, HEAT- which is S, and then you have Shrapnel- which looks like a period ".", but every time I press period it doesn't work. What key does the dot represent? Thanks for answers

I'll just quote FHSWdev's Twitter there:

Some of the guns allow to switch between 3 kinds of ammunition. Keys needed
for this action are shown on the vehicle's icon, on the lower left area
of the screen. Sometimes they are W, S keys and sometimes arrows.
Example for HE/SHRAPNEL/AT - to use Shrapnel press and HOLD a W key when shooting, for HE press W once, for HEAT press S once.

Message edited by RADIOSMERSH - Saturday, 2015-01-31, 6:59 PM

(HH)BenjaminDate: Saturday, 2015-01-31, 11:41 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
Thanks radio and xen, you answered all my questions.

crazygameloverDate: Sunday, 2015-02-01, 2:11 AM | Message # 8
Colonel
Awards: 13
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
Though you can't do accurate fire while in move, but it significantly decreases time needed for gun stabilization after tank stops, hence you can make accurate shot immediately after the stop.
Interesting. I didn't really understand how the gyrostabilized turrets worked until now, thanks.

RADIOSMERSHDate: Sunday, 2015-02-01, 10:08 AM | Message # 9
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
BTW, those gyrostabilisers were not, in fact, used as frequently as they could have been in combat, since many tank crews removed or disabled it in the field as it was too difficult to adjust.

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » English Language » Ammo Type (m) (Changing ammo type)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: