[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » Sounds cut off/choppy sound effects (r)
Sounds cut off/choppy sound effects (r)
Endless_NamelessDate: Tuesday, 2012-06-12, 11:26 PM | Message # 1
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
Hey,

anyone else noticed that the sound, especially of cannons and explosions, tends to cut off in bigger tank battles? The cannon sound can only be heard for like a millisecond before it cuts off. It seems to be a problem of FHSW in general because I heard it on different videos, here's an example: http://youtu.be/ZBesT8jnyY8?t=1m (from 1:00 to 1:30). Anyone knows what's the problem here?

--Edit--

Solution, or rather improvement: Open ..\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Profiles\*\Sound.con (where * is your profile name) with notepad and change the value after game.setChannels to 1024. If it's too demanding for your PC try 128, 256 or 512 (the higher the better).

Comparison video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKtYUcv-XQ

It's not completely gone, the sound still cuts off when there are too many sound effects at the same time, but it's definitely better.

Please post your results or ideas here.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Wednesday, 2012-06-13, 0:32 AM | Message # 2
Accessory Admin
Awards: 22
VaU has the same problem and his temporary solution for this problem is restarting the game. I think it occurs on machines with low end sound cards? However there is a trick you may do if your sound card supports hardware acceleration and it's been described in Sound Pack's Readme.txt. Quick steps:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Default.con and change value in Sound.setHardwareVoiceLimit to 128
2. Go to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Profiles\Custom\Sound.con and change value in game.setChannels to 128.

Above workaround works well for me for years. My current SC is Audigy2

I see plenty of various interesting values in these files, that are not available from game menu.

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2012-06-13, 5:59 PM | Message # 3
General
I don't have a sound card, so I don't think that my onboard thing has hardware acceleration. But I tried it anyway and it's defintely better although it still cuts in some cases. Thanks! smile

Quote (Mr_J)
I see plenty of various interesting values in these files, that are not available from game menu.

Hmm, what for example?

€:Experimenting with Sound.soundBufferCacheSize seems to have a positive effect, too. smile

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Wednesday, 2012-06-13, 7:09 PM | Message # 4
Accessory Admin
Quote (Endless_Nameless)
Hmm, what for example?

€:Experimenting with Sound.soundBufferCacheSize seems to have a positive effect, too. smile

that one for example, yeah. Do you know what the Sound.setPitchChangeRate and Sound.soundStreamUpdateFrequency do? Did you try it?

Endless_NamelessDate: Thursday, 2012-06-14, 7:28 PM | Message # 5
General
Here are my results (everything is subjective because I can't really make a reproducible test):

1. Sound.soundStreamUpdateFrequency if you change this value to <5 or >35 the sound echoes terribly, didn't recognise anything else
2. Sound.soundBufferCacheSize doesn't change much, if anything
3. Sound.setHardwareVoiceLimit doesn't change anything
4. game.setChannels that one helped me, I tried it with 128 first as recommended by J, but then I tried 256, 512 and 1024 and it gradually got better. The downside is that it increases the loading time. Edit: Seems like I was wrong, it doesn't affect loading time. smile

It still cuts when there are too many tanks firing at the same time but it's waaay better, I can hear sounds now that weren't there before, especially explosions and tank fire in the distance. Great for the atmosphere, I think I'll make a comparison video.

What really puzzles me is that these sound cuts only happen with tank cannons or stationary guns - ships and airplanes aren't affected. Take the HMS Lion or South Dakota from Kikusui Day2, there are 100 cannons blazing at the same time and it's no problem. Why? wacko

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Endless_NamelessDate: Thursday, 2012-06-14, 11:30 PM | Message # 6
General
Here's the promised video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKtYUcv-XQ

I recommend everyone to increase the number of channels if you have the described sound problems.

Open ..\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\Profiles\*\Sound.con (where * is your profile name) with notepad and change the value after game.setChannels to 1024.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Friday, 2012-06-15, 0:15 AM | Message # 7
Accessory Admin
The difference is clear, no doubt. Also very good video quality, no pixel blocks and no blur! What compresion codec you used before uploading it to YT?

Endless_NamelessDate: Friday, 2012-06-15, 0:21 AM | Message # 8
General
In Vegas I render with Mainconcept AVC/AAC codec, but in contrary to my other videos I didn't size it down this time. It's 1280x960 instead of 960x720, I also used a high bitrate (8000 bit/s). But it's still only 191MB.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Friday, 2012-06-15, 6:46 PM | Message # 9
Accessory Admin
ok thx. Im corious if it would look still the same with fast moving scenes.

also this topic is worth of being sticked imo

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 0:56 AM | Message # 10
Lieutenant General
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
I changed my settings in the sound con to 1024 and have had very low frame rates after that sad . Is that the only thing I have to change or is it nessesary to put hardware acceleration additional on?!?

Perhaps eye can explain that in German for me noob wacko

Gameserver admin on our FHSW Europ server

Endless_NamelessDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 10:55 AM | Message # 11
General
Yes, it's the only change. Do you play with Win98/Me compatibility? It also lags for me when I use it. Install the Win7 fix and it should work hopefully. smile

What are your hardware specs?

///German

Ja, das ist die einzige Änderung, die man machen muss. Spielst du mit Win/98-Kompatibilitätsmodus? Bei mir laggt es auch wenn ich den benutze. Am besten installierst du den Win7 fix, dann sollte es hoffentlich funktionieren.

Was für einen PC hast du denn?

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 1:21 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant General
I have XP SP3 on my PC. It runs with an AMD 64 X2 5000+ Prozessor with 2,61 GHz and 4GB Ram, a Nvidea Geforce GTX 550 Ti Graphics card and a soundblaster Audigy soundcard.

I´ll try it next time with 256 channels, perhaps it works then?! But if u have any tips I´m thankful smile ! I want to play as detailed as possible.

Regards der Eberhahn

GERMAN

Also mein System hat XP mit service pack 3 installiert einen AMD 64 X2 5000+ Prozessor mit 2,61 GHz und 4GB Ram eine Nvidea Geforce GTX 550 Ti Grafikkarte und ne soundblaster Audigy.
Ich versuche es mal mit 256 Kanälen wenn das näx mal bischen was los ist auf dem Server dann sehe ich wie´s sich anhört. Aber trotzdem bin ich für alle Tips dankbar!!! Möchte schon so detailliert wie möglich spielen.

Beste Grüße, der Eberhahn

Endless_NamelessDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 1:31 PM | Message # 13
General
Try 'A Day of Zitadelle' on Coop mode with 64 bots, there's a lot of tank fighting going on as shown in my comparision video. Maybe you don't need to change your channels because you have an actual sound card? Yes 128, 256 and 512 channels also gave me better results than 64. But 2048 channels were too much for my hardware. cool

///German

Spiel mal 'A Day of Zitadelle' im Coop Modus mit 64 Bots, da gibts viele Panzerkämpfe wie man in meinem Video sieht. Vielleicht hast du ja auch gar keine Sound-Aussetzer, da du ja eine richtige Soundkarte hast. 128, 256 und 512 Kanäle sorgten bei mir auch für besseren Sound als 64. 2048 Kanäle waren dann zu viel für meinen PC. cool

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 3:29 PM | Message # 14
Lieutenant General
OK I´ll try so. Hm, but if I activate Hardware acceleration there are only 31 channels wacko Anyway to put that higher?! Do you know the console order for freecam?

Endless_NamelessDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 4:34 PM | Message # 15
General
freecam 1

biggrin

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Saturday, 2012-06-16, 7:53 PM | Message # 16
Lieutenant General
wacko OK

I did download the server manager that works too dry

crazygameloverDate: Sunday, 2013-11-03, 2:27 PM | Message # 17
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 13
Eye, could you please re-upload that Win7 fix? I'm having some fps issues as well  dry

Endless_NamelessDate: Sunday, 2013-11-03, 3:40 PM | Message # 18
General
Are you playing with the Origin version? You shouldn't need the Win7 fix then.

For the CD version the installer automatically installs the Win7 fix. But if you want to re-install it look into your FHSW directory, there's a folder called Compatibility Fix.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

crazygameloverDate: Sunday, 2013-11-03, 3:56 PM | Message # 19
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 13
I'm using the CD version and I've already installed the Compatibility Fix, but I still get really low fps on maps like Dinant and Raseiniai. I'll try to install it again, but I don't know what else to do. I've set the "Sound.soundBufferCacheSize" to 100 (default is 200), but then I have this problem where when I turn my head, the game freezes for a second before going back to regular speed, and this happens EVERY time I turn my head, atleast on the laggy maps. My only other option is to lower game.setChannels back to 32 or 64, but that just drives me crazy (crazier than I already am  tongue )

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2014-03-15, 5:49 PM | Message # 20
Colonel
I actually want to make the changes on the sound.con but I cannot see my custom profile in the bf1942 folder wacko

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Support & Help: » Sounds cut off/choppy sound effects (r)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: