[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » What do you need to create a map for FHSW? (m) (Needing information)
What do you need to create a map for FHSW? (m)
XenanabDate: Saturday, 2014-01-04, 2:03 AM | Message # 21
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Good to get that confirmed by you eYe. I now have added all spawn templates.
Everything that's now missing is finishing... making thumbnail and loading screen for example.

Holiday time is beginning. Maybe this will take a while from now. I will let you know when everything's done ^^

Added (2014-01-04, 2:03 AM)
---------------------------------------------
And it IS done.

I proudly present the FHSW conversion of Ocean Town!

Don't forget that there is no warranty that this map offers good balance or gameplay. But I've really worked hard on these things so I would appreciate some feedback  wink

Here is the download link for the map:
FHSW Ocean Town

Unpack the file then go to your programs folder and then to EA GAMES/Battlefield 1942/Mods/FHSW/Archives/bf1942/levels and put it right there next to the other maps.
Please start a local multiplayer game and try it out.

Thanks again for all the help. I now have some ideas for completely new maps but not the time to make them.
I also hope that this thread encourages people to start mapping for FHSW as well smile

Message edited by Xenanab - Saturday, 2014-01-04, 2:07 AM

mayerDate: Saturday, 2014-01-04, 3:34 AM | Message # 22
Admin
Group: Recruit
Awards: 15
Nice. Sure the city does look a little confusing (and this is intended) but i like how it offers different hiding places, ways and nonlinear placement of flags. In my opinion a great infantry map in which always someone can find a way back to a flag, so that the game always stays interesting and is not quickly decided/finished.

Well I do have a critic point, namely the ships. In my point of view the naval combat defeats the whole purpose of the city. Takes away the focus from close combat, makes sneaking at the city corner impossible and encourages spawnkill because some flags are open and easy to bombard. It feels like someone puts berlin into midway without the edge buildings.
Don't be angry about this criticism, i really appreciate your work ok
but i think it would be better if it only consisted of the city(D3-E5)

(HH)BenjaminDate: Saturday, 2014-01-04, 8:29 AM | Message # 23
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 9
Sometimes I swear you guys are talkin a foreign language to me... smile

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2014-01-04, 12:11 PM | Message # 24
Colonel
Im not angry about your criticism, I'm grateful for any kind of response smile

The naval combat was to offer some alternation since I wanted to create a map like Midway then. But there is also one point that should be mentioned and that is the one that there are no sea flags...
Maybe one should be added at least to give ships a reason to avoid contact with the city. I understand your point about worrying about base rape.
That is the reason why I placed many soldier spawns in buildings to grant shelter. The underground is a completely save area against ships, planes and tanks.

On vanilla it would've been not that bad cause the ships were ot able to release a permanent storm of shells. I kept the ships small and the carriers offer various planes to bomb the hell out of them.
Of course you can't take the B25 or the Special Kis because they dont have bombs to take down ships.

But on the bunker-hill there should be a avenger with 1 tons of bombs (enough to kill a destroyer) and on the shokaku there is a Val with 750 kg next to a Kate which can be switched to one with many small 60 kg bombs and to one with a 800 kg.
The west and east parts of the town have docks where PT boats can spawn... also a potential danger for the enemy marine ^^

The ships are also important as they can release landing boats which also enrich the many possibilities to storm the town so I didn't want to leave them completely out.

mayerDate: Saturday, 2014-01-04, 6:47 PM | Message # 25
Admin
Quote Xenanab ()
I wanted to create a map like Midway then. But there is also one point that should be mentioned and that is the one that there are no sea flags...
Maybe one should be added at least to give ships a reason to avoid contact with the city.

IMO sea flags take attention away from the city. Just like in Midway where ppl only occasionally fight on the island.

Maybe you could give both teams a foothold in the city at the start of the map. I'm thinking of giving suedwestliche_insel to japan and suedoestliche_insel to usa. As well as reducing navies to landing crafts and a small destroyer for both.

OT: Has anyone Stefans map Island Assault? From the pictures it looks really neat but i couldn't get it. I would like to convert it to FHSW.

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2014-01-04, 7:31 PM | Message # 26
Colonel
Thanks for these suggestions, I will think about it ^^

In another thread you made some thoughts on a FHSW Europ mappack. If there is a need and others agree we could add ocean town as an enhanced version to it.
But you guys have to decide that more than me alone.

Still have an idea for a Hungary map... but not the time. Have to do some research before I will go for that one.

mayerDate: Sunday, 2014-01-05, 4:33 PM | Message # 27
Admin
Your map is too big for me. After a really long time saving in ed42 (more than 1 hour) it stops with out of memory error.

I just tried the above changes and added out of bound material map (death zones) in a large radius around the city, set navy spawners closer to the city and replaced bomber spawners with fighters.

XenanabDate: Tuesday, 2014-01-07, 6:25 PM | Message # 28
Colonel
Did you save with the "save/save as ..." - function from the editor? eYe told me here in this thread, that this always causes crashes due to a problem with the minimap:

For Ocean Town it seems to have problems with the minimap, try to open it in ED42 (shortcut "M") it always crashes.

This is the last entry in the log:
CodeMINI UpdateTexture()

For maps which don't crash when opening the minimap it looks like this:
CodeMINI UpdateTexture()
lockend
unlocked
MINI End UpdateTexture()

No idea what that means or how to fix it. If you save with CTRL+S it works, not sure what it does and doesn't save then though.

Well CTRL+S works and all changes on the map except on the minimap image will be transferred.
I can't imagine that there is a problem with the memory. The counter of static objects isnt slightly close to the limit of acceptance.

Hm, well I think there is another problem I also had to fought with working on the FHSW conversion...
You know that I used to make maps with Battlecraft 1942 then.
One of the major disadvantages of ED42 is that changes on the ObjectSpawnTemplates, which have been transferred from the original BC42 data, - while working with the editor - won't be correctly overwritten in the map folders ObjectSpawnTemplates.con after saving!
This means you may never change my object spawn templates I made with BC42, cause saving this will crash the editor + the content of ObjectSpawnTemplates.con will be completely erased. (Note: There should always remain a BACKUP .con file in the map folder after this error, which is veeeery useful  happy )
This is the reason why there are still the old spawn templates names "fletcher", "fletcher2", "enterprise", etc.. You see, these names must have been used when I was creating the map for vanilla.

I don't know what you've exactly done with the spawn templates or if your error has the same origin like mine, but this could be a possible solution:
Of course the named "enterprise"-spawner does not spawn the Enterprise anymore but the Bunker Hill. For the conversion I did not change that with ED42. I simply opened the maps folder in the directory I've set up for the editor and took a look into the ObjectSpawnTemplates.con. There I changed

(original BC42)

Code
rem -----------------------------------------      
rem ---  Enterprise_Spawner  ---
rem -----------------------------------------      
ObjectTemplate.create ObjectSpawner Enterprise_Spawner
ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 enterprise
ObjectTemplate.MinSpawnDelay 300
ObjectTemplate.MaxSpawnDelay 310
ObjectTemplate.SpawnDelayAtStart 0
ObjectTemplate.TimeToLive 45
ObjectTemplate.Distance 5000
ObjectTemplate.DamageWhenLost 10
ObjectTemplate.maxNrOfObjectSpawned 1
ObjectTemplate.teamOnVehicle 2

to

(ED42)

Code
ObjectTemplate.create ObjectSpawner enterprise_spawner
ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 2 bunker_hill
ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1      
ObjectTemplate.MinSpawnDelay 360
ObjectTemplate.MaxSpawnDelay 365
ObjectTemplate.SpawnDelayAtStart 0
ObjectTemplate.TimeToLive 45
ObjectTemplate.Distance 5000
ObjectTemplate.DamageWhenLost 10
ObjectTemplate.teamOnVehicle 1
ObjectTemplate.maxNrOfObjectSpawned 1

I changed the parameters, not the format of the codes. ED42 did that on his own after a first succesful save. If you want to change spawn time, number of objects, etc you must do this here in the con. file too of course.
Yeeees... I could had also changed the NAME of the template(s) but I was too lazy  shy . sorry if this is extra confusing.

Well I believe you have changed some of the original templates and that could have been the reason for the crash.

Here is a list of all the original templates where you should NEVER make changes while working with ED42 in any case:

I know this is confusing and this issue is hard to explain... but I hope that my way of troubleshooting is helpful.
Remember: This problem could also appear when your converting other maps to FHSW :/

And I pray your 'out of memory' - crash has not something to do with placing the out of bound zone. I havn't made any experience with the ED42 material mapper yet.

Message edited by Xenanab - Tuesday, 2014-01-07, 6:32 PM

mayerDate: Thursday, 2014-01-09, 2:57 PM | Message # 29
Admin
Quote Xenanab ()
This means you may never change my object spawn templates I made with BC42, cause saving this will crash the editor + the content of ObjectSpawnTemplates.con will be completely erased.

I can't confirm this. I could change spawn templates to whatever vehicle/kit i wanted and saving didn't delete all the templates, however everytime i saved the editor crashed (regardless it saved successfully). However i have the same problem with minimap on your map like eye.

The only problem i have now with finalizing my edit of your map is that for some reason i can't get the spawnplanes working (i deleted one japanese bomber, changed the other into the ki-84fighter and the b25 got replaced by a p51, instead i set a flag controlled bomber spawn on the northern flag which previously lacked a plane despite having a runway and pilot kits)

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2014-01-09, 7:13 PM | Message # 30
Colonel
Hm strange things keep being strange wacko I will never understand these mess ups with my map's con files. It is a frustrating thing working with ED42 after the nice functionality of BC42 ^^

Quote mayer ()
The only problem i have now with finalizing my edit of your map is that for some reason i can't get the spawnplanes working (i deleted one japanese bomber, changed the other into the ki-84fighter and the b25 got replaced by a p51, instead i set a flag controlled bomber spawn on the northern flag which previously lacked a plane despite having a runway and pilot kits)

I've had the same problems setting up my spawnrotator planes. As you can see in the templates list there are many entities with the spawnrotator suffix although they seem to be the same object. The number after the suffix differs.
Just try out the other templates with your desired planes and you should find a working one. So did I.

mayerDate: Saturday, 2014-01-11, 10:32 AM | Message # 31
Admin
Quote Xenanab ()
Just try out the other templates with your desired planes and you should find a working one. So did I.

Nope, none of them work. Instead I keep trying to make a custom airspawnrotator similar too these found in air_raid_alert_-kure\objects but couldn't get it to work yet.

btw the problems with editor42 exist due to the sheer size of your map (4096x4096)
found this on bfmods.com:
Quote fo0k
You will always get a crash when saving a large map. This is due (I think) to a bug when the editor tries to create a minimap.. It can't handle large full terrain maps.

But your map will save correctly aside from the minimap. Just use 3dmax to create the minimap when the project is complete..

mayerDate: Monday, 2014-01-13, 8:16 PM | Message # 32
Admin
After overcoming some difficulties due to my inexperience, i present to you my first modification of Xenanab's map Ocean_Town

>> Download

Code
changelog v1

- resized map to 2048x2048
- doubled view distance
- added new minimap
- added FH style loading screen
- added 'underground' control point
- added death zones
- added capturable airammo on runway ('northern island')
- added medium bomber spawn to 'northern island'
- added airspawn p-51d + ki-84
- added US pacific skin
- changed officer's m2 carbine kit to thompson
- changed bofors m1936 (which had a winter skin) to aa_allies (which is basicly the same thing)
- changed stuartm3a1 to m3satan
- moved destroyers hatsuzuki + southerland
- removed carriers (enterprise, shokakua)
- removed battleships (atlanta, kumano, lci(r), suzutsuki)
- removed airspawn bombers (b25_75mm, spezial_ki-67, ki-109)
- translated control point names into english

XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-15, 8:08 PM | Message # 33
Colonel
Wow, the view distance is great, but too bad that BF1942 has that lack of far object rendering distance.
I really like this new minimap! It's clear and has a good resolution, which makes it finally useful ^^

You have made quite a lot of reasonable improvements and changes, especially the underground flag which I also wanted to implement in a later version.

The FH style loading screen is okay, but I would rather make a new one with new screenshots. Could you give me the screen layout with the 'Ocean Town' title? I'd like to make a new constellation of different images.
By the way, what is that town on the photograph? laugh

Nevertheless I suggest to undo the change on the US officer's soldier kit.
This m2 carbine kit, which is also used on Iwo Jima (vanilla style), has the interesting feature to swap between 'semi' and 'full' fire rate. I have never seen this kit on other maps than Iwo, so I would appreciate to keep it in Ocean Town for more US-Navy kit alternation.

Is it possible to place the bomber spawn at the western front of the North Island barrack? So it is more close to the pilot kits. And maybe increase the distance from the runway so it is easier to maneuver the big planes on it for a more rapid departure.
Since that many planes have been now cut out and the view distance is less misty I recommend to remove one of the "Flak" at the northern base. Maybe the AA west of the barracks.

Very good job so far on that modification!

Message edited by Xenanab - Wednesday, 2014-01-15, 8:09 PM

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-15, 8:40 PM | Message # 34
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
Quote Xenanab ()
Wow, the view distance is great, but too bad that BF1942 has that lack of far object rendering distance.

Haven't looked at the map yet but that could be fixed map side, I'll try to do that later if you wish.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

mayerDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-15, 9:06 PM | Message # 35
Admin
Quote Xenanab ()
I really like this new minimap! It's clear and has a good resolution, which makes it finally useful ^^

thx but i think i have to move it further into center for the next version and i may add the icons for ammo and health which i found useful

Quote Xenanab ()
The FH style loading screen is okay, but I would rather make a new one with new screenshots.

i have to admit i did it very sloppy tongue
I can give you the original loading screen template and font
but if you want me to do a better quality one, just give me the pics you want

also i thought of making bf-2 style loading screens for a fhsw europe mappack (which show minimap and useful information during the long loading time)
i made some tests and i found out that loading screens with higher resolution than 800x600 are possible

Quote Endless_Nameless ()
Nevertheless I suggest to undo the change on the US officer's soldier kit.
This m2 carbine kit, which is also used on Iwo Jima (vanilla style), has the interesting feature to swap between 'semi' and 'full' fire rate. I have never seen this kit on other maps than Iwo, so I would appreciate to keep it in Ocean Town for more US-Navy kit alternation.

I did it for balancing reasons, the m2 is like an assault rifle and in my opinion to strong for a regular kit. But placing it as a kit spawn is also an option.

Haven't looked at the map yet but that could be fixed map side, I'll try to do that later if you wish.

be aware that this will affect performance on slower machines. I already had performance drops due to the concentration of objects in town.

XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-15, 10:14 PM | Message # 36
Colonel

I would appreciate that.

Quote mayer ()
but if you want me to do a better quality one, just give me the pics you want

Sure, I will take some more screenshots and upload them.
Quote mayer ()
I did it for balancing reasons, the m2 is like an assault rifle and in my opinion to strong for a regular kit. But placing it as a kit spawn is also an option.

The Japanese officers have SMG100 (better than tommy in my mind) + pistol + sword. Placing the m2 carbine kit would be difficult cause I've already try to balance all the existing spawn kits and this would make some more work again.
Also remember axis have the better bazooka and the better rifle.

mayerDate: Wednesday, 2014-01-15, 11:04 PM | Message # 37
Admin
Quote Xenanab ()
Also remember axis have the better bazooka and the better rifle.

how are they better?

Quote Xenanab ()
The Japanese officers have SMG100 (better than tommy in my mind)

Type 100 smg (1944): 800rpm, 30 rounds per magazine
M1A1 Thompson: 700rpm, 30 rounds per magazine

slightly

Endless_NamelessDate: Thursday, 2014-01-16, 5:51 PM | Message # 38
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
Here are the files you need to keep houses from disappearing over long distances: http://www.file-upload.net/download-8521489/Ocean_Town.zip.html

Drop the files CullRadiusMod.con and StaticObjects.con in your main map folder and overwrite the old one. I also included an updated Terrain.con so that the terrain renders better with the view distance.

Quote mayer ()
be aware that this will affect performance on slower machines. I already had performance drops due to the concentration of objects in town.

That's true but I tested it and my fps only dropped by ~2 or 3. I excluded small objects like barrels, ladders and crates from my modifications which helps a lot.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

RADIOSMERSHDate: Thursday, 2014-01-16, 7:07 PM | Message # 39
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote mayer ()

And Type 100 also has as twice less damage as Thompson.

Type 100:
Spread: 0.75
Damage: 5.02

Thompson:
Spead: 1.3
Damage: 9.6

Message edited by RADIOSMERSH - Thursday, 2014-01-16, 7:07 PM

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2014-01-16, 7:24 PM | Message # 40
Colonel
Quote mayer ()
how are they better?

The Type 4 70 mm rocket launcher has a much higher velocity than the bazooka which increases distance and damage after a succesful penetration.
The Type 4 rifle has the advantage that you are able to reload without firing all rounds out of its clip.

Quote mayer ()

slightly

These are not all aspects. The Thompson works not very precisely on bigger distances like the smg100.
Try to shoot full automatically with the m2 carbine and you will observe, that on longer distances it cannot reach the class of the BAR or the Type99. The carbine kit doesn't include a pistol. In my opinion it is balanced.

Here are the files you need to keep houses from disappearing over long distances: http://www.file-upload.net/download-8521489/Ocean_Town.zip.htmlDrop the files CullRadiusMod.con and StaticObjects.con in your main map folder and overwrite the old one. I also included an updated Terrain.con so that the terrain renders better with the view distance.

Thanks I will make use of this for some new screenshots!

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » What do you need to create a map for FHSW? (m) (Needing information)
Search: