[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » What do you need to create a map for FHSW? (m) (Needing information)
What do you need to create a map for FHSW? (m)
XenanabDate: Tuesday, 2013-11-26, 10:37 PM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Hello everyone.
After many months in FHSW my interest in publishing one specific map  reached new spheres.
I really want to convert a map for Vanilla BF1942, which i created a long time ago, into a FHSW-fictional-what-if-'fun' map.

But before I start presenting my work I wanted to ask for any needed information I must be aware of to do this.

What exact map editor do I have to make use of? (compatibility with Windows Vista??)
How to 'convert' an existing map?
Where to find all the stuff (meshes)?
How to create the soldier classes?
How to change spawn object skins?
Anything special about FHSW mapping?

My experience in vanilla mapping is quite good I think (I used Battlecraft 1942 on Windows XP). I'm talking about my technical abilities not about how 'awesome' my maps are biggrin

I would really appreciate response smile Thanks and sorry for this long list of questions mellow

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 0:16 AM | Message # 2
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
Sounds interesting, is your map finished in Vanilla?

I have almost no experience in map making but just recently I also looked a bit into it and most people suggest to use Editor42 because it's way more powerful. Also for Battlecraft you need a .cfg and .lst file of the mod and I don't know how to create these for FHSW.

Here's a good beginner tutorial for setting up Ed42: http://www.cajunwolf.com/Setting%20up%20Editor42.html And here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZLTX8b2OWA
I strongly recommend to use BGA instead of winRFA though, you can get it here: https://code.google.com/p/bga/

First get this running then I'll answer your other questions.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 1:25 AM | Message # 3
Colonel
Okay first thanks for these links and tips!
I got everything running so far ...... except Editor42 .....
I extracted A_Day_Of_Zitadelle for testing and while performing the loading of the data, Windows says an error has ocurred and shuts down the editor...

Must say something at this point: Vista sucked, sucks and will always suck!!!!

Also on Battlecraft I had problems with creating lightmaps on Vista..... I hated it... so I used an XP computer.
Now, after I moved from home, I dont have access on any XP computer around me anymore sad
What can I do?
I tried compatibility mode, but as I mentioned: Vista sucks!

Could Windows 7 help me out here? :/ As far as I can remember the compatibility mode for 7 is mostly working.

Message edited by Xenanab - Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 1:28 AM

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 1:44 PM | Message # 4
General
I'm running it on Win7 without any compatibilty mode. Have you tried opening a Vanilla map?

I'm sure you did but just making sure: Did you extract FH's and FHSW's objects.rfa/texture.rfa and standardmesh.rfa?

One thing I forgot to mention: Since 0.5 FHSW uses a different method of packing files in the objects.rfa, luckily the devs included another one which still has the old format. Maybe this can cause problems. I think it's not included in the installer so I uploaded it for you: http://www.file-upload.net/download-8339106/objects-mod.rfa.html

Also A Day of Zitadelle is a FH map so you have to extract that version first.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 7:55 PM | Message # 5
Accessory Admin
Awards: 22
Quote Xenanab ()
Where to find all the stuff (meshes)?

http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/35-277-1

XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 9:03 PM | Message # 6
Colonel
Got everything running, thank you very much so far!

Forgot that FHSW is a mod of the FH mod ^^ Didn't extract the FH stuff.

After opening A Day Of Zitadelle I was able to look at the level, so I think it works. But.... This map extremly slows down the editor. I get 5 frames per second oO
Any ideas how to yield a better performance?

Stefan1990Date: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 9:47 PM | Message # 7
General
Awards: 10
awesome! i hope we can play some maps in the future create by xenanab smile

Stefan1990Date: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 9:52 PM | Message # 8
General
Awards: 10
My first and last map i creat was for bf1942... it taks me 7 afternoon^^
http://www.bf-games.net/forum/topic/42164-island-assault/

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 10:19 PM | Message # 9
General
Quote Xenanab ()
After opening A Day Of Zitadelle I was able to look at the level, so I think it works. But.... This map extremly slows down the editor. I get 5 frames per second oO
Any ideas how to yield a better performance?

Yes, I also had this problem.

Go to your Editor42 folder and open the init.con. The number after
Code
editor.display.objectMaxDistance

defines how far you can see objects in Ed42, of course the higher the more CPU power is required so lower it until your satisfied. Another way to increase fps is to only extract the Buildings and MOVE_FILES of the objects.con, then your vehicles only appear as grey box but that should be enough to position them correctly. To hide/unhide all objects on the map hit "o" in Ed42.

btw. Stefan that's a really great looking map for being your first one, you have some talent. respect

@MrJ: Do you still have these files because all links appear to be down. That looks very helpful!

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 11:25 PM | Message # 10
Accessory Admin
Quote Endless_Nameless ()
@MrJ: Do you still have these files because all links appear to be down. That looks very helpful!

It doesn't seem like it was helpful for anybody as of yet...
Where can I upload this to keep the file from being deleted after 1 month?

XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 11:47 PM | Message # 11
Colonel
Thanks again! Now I finally did it... I am able to start mapping for FHSW.
Is there a reason why many static objects like buildings don't show up? There is just the object icon. EDIT: Im so stupid.... forgot vanilla .rfa extracting ......

Stefan, this is a really neat looking map! Seems that detailed object placement was fun for you smile
And your first one? Wow, not bad!

I think now it is time to show some of my work :P

As you can guess I don't care about historical accuracies, but about special battflefield scenarios. I love to experiment with the placement of static objects.
Well however, none of my maps ever saw light on a public server.
Maybe on FHSW I can somehow revive a project as a fictional 'fun' map. Well fun map .... this sounds like no serious competetive battles would take place here, but I would rather say no conventional battles take place.
Now I want to update THIS map:

Yes, this map is somehow finished but still needs fine-tuning as there is a lack of details on some places.
Don't think this is all: This Ocean Town conceals hidden paths and tactics suspect

Wanna see it by yourself on vanilla? Click

So how should I begin with 'converting' my map?
I will see if I really adopt this exactly as it is.
Attachments: 8371614.jpg (120.9 Kb) · 4345675.jpg (110.1 Kb) · 3467927.jpg (120.2 Kb) · 0457676.jpg (116.0 Kb) · 7895248.jpg (98.3 Kb)

Message edited by Xenanab - Wednesday, 2013-11-27, 11:51 PM

Endless_NamelessDate: Friday, 2013-11-29, 11:47 PM | Message # 12
General
That's a cool map, not realistic but very interesting concept. I really like the underground part. smile
Converting a map is actually pretty simple, just open the map's init.con which you find in the folder menu and change
Code
game.setMapId "BF1942"

to
Code
game.setMapId "FHSW"

And to have the correct icon in the map browser add
Code
game.setServerInfoIcon serverInfo_Blue.dds

in the same file.

@MrJ: You could try https://drive.google.com/

I saw RADIOSMERSH using it, seems to store data as long as you want.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2013-11-30, 0:55 AM | Message # 13
Colonel
haha, I knew this would be the answer to my question eYe  yes So yesterday I tried out converting the map.

Well I tried many many things.... Creating a new map on BC42 and then bringing it to ED42 like the same guy from the tutorial video suggested.... didnt work at all.
Then trying to copy passages from the Naichi 1945 init.con to Ocean Town ,etc .... didnt work at all.
Creating a new map with FHSW data on ED42 just for trying .... didnt work at all.
Creating a new map on ED42 simply with Vanilla stuff .... didnt work either.

But now I figured many things out. Nevertheless I am no crucial step closer to my purpose.

I believe the main problem I got now (after you told me exactly what to do ^^) which prevents me from mapping for FHSW is simply the issue that ED42 crashes everytime when I want to save a map no

Trust me, I made some researches on the internet and I found out that there are a lot of Problems with that editor. First it seemed that spawn templates caused crashes while saving. So I removed all of them from Ocean Town. No solution. Then I removed the soldier spawners, later the control points, but nothing has prevented the editor from crashing sad
Does your program have issues with saving levels?

I will not give up! Next I will try to set up the editor on a win 7 laptop.. then we will see what happens when I save a level as there could be probably the same compatibility problem like always on Vista.

Anyway, thanks for takin' a closer look on my map and thanks for the exact .con changes ^^

mayerDate: Sunday, 2013-12-01, 1:52 AM | Message # 14
Admin
Group: Recruit
Awards: 15
Quote Xenanab ()
ED42 crashes everytime when I want to save a map
 I can confirm this. When i tried to save a map in ED42 it crashed too.
I thought i was just too stupid and forgot sth... bag

Endless_NamelessDate: Sunday, 2013-12-01, 4:11 PM | Message # 15
General
For Ocean Town it seems to have problems with the minimap, try to open it in ED42 (shortcut "M") it always crashes.

This is the last entry in the log:
Code
MINI UpdateTexture()

For maps which don't crash when opening the minimap it looks like this:
Code
MINI UpdateTexture()
lockend
unlocked
MINI End UpdateTexture()

No idea what that means or how to fix it. If you save with CTRL+S it works, not sure what it does and doesn't save then though.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Monday, 2013-12-02, 8:37 PM | Message # 16
Accessory Admin
@MrJ: You could try https://drive.google.com/
thx, 15GB of free storage and max 10GB per file looks encouraging
There is the link https://drive.google.com/file....sharing

XenanabDate: Tuesday, 2013-12-03, 1:07 AM | Message # 17
Colonel
For Ocean Town it seems to have problems with the minimap, try to open it in ED42 (shortcut "M") it always crashes.

Well I did nothing strange on this minimap oO

If you save with CTRL+S it works, not sure what it does and doesn't save then though.

Wait, are you seri.......... oh works.
I was able to save with ED42 and the best: It really does it!
Added some FHSW spawn objects on the map....

Give me some time and I will finish my 'conversion'. So nothing can stop me creating maps for FHSW technically.

Again many many thanks to you eYe for your quick help!!

And also thanks to Mr_J for this nice object library!

But this won't mean that all my questions are answered.  ^_^ 

Soldier classes are no problem anymore. I found that one out by myself.

So how is it with spawn objects as spawn points (mobile spawn points)? Do they depend on some object coding?

And what about airplanes spawning above the ground circling as long as nobody touches the controls?

Endless_NamelessDate: Tuesday, 2013-12-03, 11:12 PM | Message # 18
General
Mobile spawn vehicles are seperate versions of that vehicle. In FHSW they're marked with the suffix [vehicle name]_SP[spawn group number]

For example: ISU APC you can pick one of these
Code
ISU_APC_SP66
ISU_APC_SP67
ISU_APC_SP68
ISU_APC_SP69
ISU_APC_SP72

ISU_APC_SP73
ISU_APC_SP74
ISU_APC_SP79
ISU_APC_SP80
ISU_APC_SP81

ISU_APC_SP84

You usually don't want two vehicles with the same spawn group on one map because then they'll share the same spawn point. This is why there are so many different ones.

Circling planes are also seperate versions, they have the suffix spawnrotator additionally to the spawn group thing from above.

Example: P51 H Mustang

Code
P51H_SP66spawnrotator
P51H_SP67spawnrotator
P51H_SP68spawnrotator
P51H_SP69spawnrotator
P51H_SP72spawnrotator

P51H_SP73spawnrotator
P51H_SP74spawnrotator
P51H_SP79spawnrotator
P51H_SP80spawnrotator
P51H_SP81spawnrotator

P51H_SP84spawnrotator

I obviously haven't checked all spawn vehicles but I think they always use the same set of numbers for spawn groups.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Friday, 2013-12-20, 10:49 PM | Message # 19
Colonel
And thanks again for your effort eYe ^^

Map is in progressive 'conversion' stadium.

I think these are my last two questions for now:

How can I adjust the spawning of planes on carriers? I want to make some changes if it is possible.

And how can I put infantry kits on the map as spawn-entities?

Just as a note: I don't want to make this map a perfect game experience on FHSW. This is rather a test of how to get used with FHSW mapping + fun ^^

Added (2013-12-20, 10:49 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Okay, am I right when I say, that there are no spawn changes possible on carriers? I have to choose between various carrier versions which have been used for different maps (bunker-hill is not the same as bunker-hill-boggainville  e.g).

And the answer to my second question is, that I have to place object spawners on the map and edit the needed code into them in the con files? This would explain everything biggrin

Message edited by Xenanab - Friday, 2013-12-20, 10:50 PM

Endless_NamelessDate: Sunday, 2013-12-22, 4:23 PM | Message # 20
General
Yes, if you want different planes on a carrier you have to create a seperate version of that carrier or modify the existing one.

All kits are stored in the items folder (objects.rfa) I believe. You can create a kit spawner in the editor just insert the kit name where you would usually pick the vehicle.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » What do you need to create a map for FHSW? (m) (Needing information)
Search: