[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Suggestions: » A new map: Ocean Town (m)
A new map: Ocean Town (m)
XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2014-11-12, 10:09 PM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Hey guys,
as I've managed to get all things together with my map for FHSW 0.552
(here), I want to ask if it could be included on our server.

Here is a suggestion: Since everybody has to download it, it should not be implemented in the map rotation! But if there is a small round of people who already have downloaded it, it should be accessible via map vote. Or there is a possibility to create an event about it....

So what is this map about?
If you haven't already read it at the link above, Ocean town is a conquest map of a fictional 'fantasy' kind.
It is NO funmap though.
It's about the Japanese and the US navy picking up a big fight about a mysterious half submerged town. There are isles of normal ground but most of the action mainly takes place on all the structures. Each team starts with 1 destroyer and a capturable foothold in the town.
Tanks, APCs, PT boats and of course many useful infantry kits can spawn when flags get captured.
There is also a bomber spawner. Plane aces should not get bored, cause there is at least one spawn rotator for each team which allowes you to perform epic dogfights with fighters.
All of this is presented to you with a gorgeous render distance powered by eYe's CullRadius Mod and updated lightmaps by Radiosmersh!

This town invites you to seek hidden paths, alternate tactics and demands acrobatic abilities with a kind of spatial sense... it is indeed a complicated and more infantry-focused map!

I don't want to get too detailed here...

So, I need to hear opinions, especially by the server staff smile
This map desperately needs a balance check.

Endless_NamelessDate: Thursday, 2014-11-13, 11:03 AM | Message # 2
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
We can't connect to the ftp server anymore so at the moment we are unable do ssm or upload custom maps.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

LampoDate: Thursday, 2014-11-13, 1:29 PM | Message # 3
Donator of 40€
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 31
i'v downloaded it, can you host a server to try it ???

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2014-11-13, 7:00 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Sorry, I dont have a server and nor time and experience to set up one :/

Radio? Could you set up your temp server for it?

mardukDate: Thursday, 2014-11-13, 8:00 PM | Message # 5
General
Awards: 45
@Xenanab: I really appreciate the work you put into the creation of your map and it sounds quite cool. My first thought about this map was that it kinda sounds like Atlantis.
Maybe we can include it in a mappack called "forgotten maps" that our staff is creating at the moment, aren't they?

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

RADIOSMERSHDate: Thursday, 2014-11-13, 8:16 PM | Message # 6
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote Xenanab ()
Radio? Could you set up your temp server for it?

Unfortunately, I can't do that until Friday evening at least, since I am away from home currently.

XenanabDate: Friday, 2014-11-14, 0:58 AM | Message # 7
Colonel
I will try to be there. I would join our server in the evening. If there are enough people we could join your server.
But it's no problem if there is no time for you though!

DeathDate: Friday, 2014-11-14, 1:13 AM | Message # 8
Colonel
Awards: 13
This seems cool Xenanab
I like duky's idea about it sounding like Atlantis

XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2014-11-26, 1:36 PM | Message # 9
Colonel
Hey everyone. About a week ago 8 - 10 players were able to play Ocean Town (Download here at my last post) on Radiosmersh's temporary server.

I would like to ask, what do you think? What was good? What was bad?
What can be improved?
Feel free to post suggestions and opinions! I want to sum them up and think about an enhanced version of the map, which we can include on our server when FTP works again.

As far as I can see on the file hoster I used for the download link, 14 people have downloaded the map (maybe some more have made use of Radio's downloadable folder).
Please write your thoughts in here smile

Santa-AnnaDate: Wednesday, 2014-11-26, 4:44 PM | Message # 10
Lieutenant Colonel
Group: Gold Donator
A new maps - it is always good smile

mardukDate: Wednesday, 2014-11-26, 5:20 PM | Message # 11
General
Awards: 45
I liked it - but I have only been on the map for about 10 mins. and did not get the opportunity to leave the destroyer and enter the town...

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

starking018Date: Saturday, 2014-11-29, 10:14 AM | Message # 12
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
We've not played the map much, but so far I have good impressions overall. I like the mixed combat style, particularly the PT boats. I told you about the inconveniences there and here's what I would propose.

I think PT boats should be easily available. I suggest you should either make them unlocked for both teams, or make it so that when the flag is taken a new boat spawns for that team to be able to use immediately. Make it so that the PT boat spawner can spawn up to two or more boats, so that even if one is taken (e.g. by the other team) a new one can still spawn. Perhaps make them respawn faster. I tried destroying a PT boat from the other team because I wanted to get a boat that I can use, but after a minute or two it had still not respawned. Maybe if they are unlocked and two or more boats can spawn then the long spawn time would be ok. Also, make it so that all abandoned boats destroy themselves after 2 minutes or so (if it is not so already) and make the radius very short, because I would not like to see a boat just 10 meters from where it spawns that is stuck or beached or hard to reach, but preventing a new boat from spawning.

Some other things that I'm not sure about but they might turn out to be irritating when playing:
I don't remember seeing many ladders going out of the water towards the islands and buildings. It would not be fun if there aren't enough of those.
It may turn out to be irritating driving vehicles, especially tanks, always on the precipice, too focused on not falling and unable to focus on the battle. I like to be able to focus on the battle while moving quickly and it is hard enough already (e.g. on tank maps with many obstacles) even without the risk of falling to your death if you don't pay full attention to where you are driving even for a second. Maybe put some damn fences? Or is this exactly what you wanted to achieve?

I think it has the potential to be a very fun map to play. We could play it on my server from time to time.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2014-12-04, 5:08 PM | Message # 13
Colonel
Thanks for your feedback!
Yes I acknowledged the issues with the PT boats.
The spawners are already set to spawn up to 2 boats but the respawntime is not that short. I don't want to shorten it though but would like to disable the team lock.
This means everybody can enter the boats no matter what team, and if one is already taken a second boat can spawn. This should be a good solution since I don't want that these boats spawn too quickly for the DDs to have any chance. Moving the focus to sea battles is not intended for this map so I'm also going to increase the spawn time of DDs again... About 8 minutes should be fine.

As you analyse the layout of the map you'll find out that - even if it's not clearly visible to the naked eye - the arrangement of all control points, secret paths and hiding places is nearly symmetric. Think of the central control point in the middle of the town as the axis. As you know this map is supposed to be a symmetric conquest battle with balanced teams. To achieve this it was essential to give every side the same possibilities to capture flags. When a game starts it should be as easy for Allied team to get the eastern block as for Axis team to capture the western block. This means there must be the same amount of ways to get to the flag pole. And that means: There must the same amount of ladders for each team.
As far as I can remeber there are exactly 2 ways to climb up each the western and eastern blocks from the OCEAN. Both blocks are connected with the central area via seperated stone bridges. One opportunity to climb up is exactly where the bridge is. The other is where the 'landing spot' is... you know.. the area which is oriented to the open sea where the ship spawns are. The central area was meant to be only reached by the underground routes, the stone bridges and TWO ladders where you can climb out of the water canals. These ladders are placed on the opposite side of the canals, the ones which seperate the western block from the center and the eastern block from the center.

You might wonder if there is the possibility to make more ladders round the central area I guess. I don't want to do that 'cause it could 'disturb' the balance mentioned above.
Also I was not going to include ladders in the north of the center where the AA battery and the tower is... It is intended that the center can only be invaded from the west and the east.
Once you know where the few ladders out of the water are I believe there won't be any issues.

Yes, it may be difficult to maneuver with vehicles above the structures especially with the American Chaffee. Since tanks dont play that big of a role on the map and infantry can be equipped with the functional AT weapons you can consider tanks as means to conquer flags not as the crucial attackers.
Because of that secondary purpose I think the way the streets and passages are made are good enough for the vehicles. Just as you guessed above:
Yes it is what I wanted to achieve ^^

starking018Date: Thursday, 2015-01-08, 12:45 PM | Message # 14
Colonel
I have to report that with my current GPU (the one in 1st generation Intel i3's, overclocked to 933MHz) I get around 15 FPS as soon as I look towards the middle of the map where most buildings are, and this is unplayable. On this map I get the lowest average frame rate among all FHSW maps (a few other maps cause such low FPS but only in more limited circumstances and places). I suppose the excessive number of objects takes its toll. Then again, I know this GPU is very weak and inappropriate.

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2015-01-08, 2:02 PM | Message # 15
Colonel
That's a bummer as I was looking forward to introduce it to the new server. But it's strange cause on Radios temp server it runs with stable FPS for nearly everyone :/

I thought it would be a good idea to put this map into a mappack along with these new experimental maps by the FHSW devs on the new server ..

wewakDate: Thursday, 2015-01-08, 2:46 PM | Message # 16
Lieutenant Colonel
Awards: 3
It would be fun to have a night during the week where we can play all these new maps. I still didn't reach the sniper rifle yet sad

starking018Date: Thursday, 2015-01-08, 3:03 PM | Message # 17
Colonel
Quote Xenanab ()
That's a bummer as I was looking forward to introduce it to the new server. But it's strange cause on Radios temp server it runs with stable FPS for nearly everyone :/

It is not about the server. The map runs fine on a server. It is only players with crappy graphics hardware (like my integrated GPU) who are going to have trouble playing it, but I don't think there are many like me here. I should probably get a normal video card anyway.

We could play the custom maps some time.

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2015-01-08, 3:14 PM | Message # 18
Colonel
Quote starking018 ()
It is not about the server.

Ah I see. So I missunderstood.
Yeah, especially at the centre the density of complex static objects like buildings is abnormally high. Maybe deactivating Lightmaps could help out.

Looking forward to an event ^^
When I have some time I will suggest it on the News Forum.

Is it possible to disable team lock on the PT boats via SSM?

starking018Date: Thursday, 2015-01-08, 3:38 PM | Message # 19
Colonel
Quote Xenanab ()
Maybe deactivating Lightmaps could help out.

I tried removing Ocean_Town_001.rfa - it didn't have a noticeable effect on the frame rate.

Quote Xenanab ()
Is it possible to disable team lock on the PT boats via SSM?

I'm sure it is. I don't know the exact code you need to use but I think it should be easy to find.

Message edited by starking018 - Thursday, 2015-01-08, 3:39 PM

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2015-01-08, 3:43 PM | Message # 20
Colonel
Quote starking018 ()
I tried removing Ocean_Town_001.rfa - it didn't have a noticeable effect on the frame rate.

Maybe that's because the normal file still has the old lightmaps loaded.
The 001 update file has complete lightmaps which are partly updated and improved due to new statics I had added since the FHSW conversion progress. So it isn't a big difference to remove that one.

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Suggestions: » A new map: Ocean Town (m)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: