[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Infos: » Our main server is offline and Wewak is unreachable (r) (Let's discuss setting up and maintaining a new server)
Our main server is offline and Wewak is unreachable (r)
Born-1942Date: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 3:59 AM | Message # 121
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 16
makes sense.

Nicknames BornDarkness and Soldado da Wehrmacht

starking018Date: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 5:06 AM | Message # 122
Colonel
Awards: 22
Quote E-3 ()
I suggest we pay the server a extra month in advance so this will never happen again. do you guys agree with me ?

No, I personally don't agree that this is a good way to do things. In principle I view it as stupid or wrong to put more money in a black box (you have no way of knowing exactly what's going on with it and it is outside of your control) and just hope that things somehow turn out better. In this case maybe there isn't much potential harm if some of you want to try it anyway. But the proper thing to do is to transition to a new server under our control.

Quote Lampo ()
I think we have to find another server and start a new renting... opening also a paypal account for donations and helping our community to hold on. I can continue with my help, but at the moment I have to do an important medical exam, if all is ok... no problem, if not... my life will change for a while and I don' t know when all ( and if ) will be ok again.
So we need to take a decision asap.

Wouldn't this PayPal account simply be a personal account of whoever is going to have a contract with Hetzner (and then if we want to transfer it to another person we change the personal info in the Hetzner account and start using that other person's PayPal account)?

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

E-3Date: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 11:14 AM | Message # 123
Lieutenant Colonel
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 9
Quote starking018 ()
No, I personally don't agree that this is a good way to do things. In principle I view it as stupid or wrong to put more money in a black box (you have no way of knowing exactly what's going on with it and it is outside of your control) and just hope that things somehow turn out better. In this case maybe there isn't much potential harm if some of you want to try it anyway. But the proper thing to do is to transition to a new server under our control.
i agree the way things are going right now it's less than optimistic as soon as the server is gone we're all in the great unknown.
so the first thing we should do is to get wewak to give account control to bubu or marduk even when they have control over the account.
if the server isn't paid on time we're still going to be in the same situation and that's why I suggest paying it ahead for about 1 month but if wewak does not want relinquish control of the account will have to make a choice leave this server IP permanently start and install a new server with the risk off losing players for at least a couple of weeks or months  before they know about the server move or we will have to keep things the way they are which I think nobody wants anymore but what choice do we have in that case.

I'm an old bf1942 player I go far back all the way to 2002
and I also play cnc generals.

Message edited by E-3 - Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 6:28 PM

mardukDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 12:40 PM | Message # 124
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 45
Quote E-3: "to get wewak to give account control to"

just lol because pointless. He is ignoring us for 1 1/2 years. Why would he stop with it now? He won't.

Regarding the rest what you wrote: I told you a couple of times to use punctuation between sentences. What you do there is just a pain for others to read.

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

RADIOSMERSHDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 1:39 PM | Message # 125
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Awards: 27
Quote E-3 ()
if wewak does not want relinquish control of the account will have to make a choice leave this server IP permanently start and install a new server with the risk off losing players for at least a couple of weeks or months before they know about the server move or we will have to keep things the way they are which I think nobody wants anymore but what choice do we have in that case.

Well, that proved to be wrong, because we had 38 players on Sunday. If the transition will smooth and gradual, barely anyone will notice.

Quote starking018 ()

I fully support this. I can provide Windows 2016 server license which I got through Microsoft Imagine as a student. From what I can understand, it's normal license without restrictions, fully eligible for use on dedicated servers. Given that, only server rental fee will have to be paid, and at the Hetzner's auction you can get dedicated box with the same configuration as current server (3770k, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD) starting from 25€.

Message edited by RADIOSMERSH - Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 1:41 PM

LampoDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 6:40 PM | Message # 126
Donator of 40€
Group: Gold Donator
Awards: 31
Quote E-3 ()
I suggest we pay the server a extra month in advance so this will never happen again.  do you guys agree with me  ?

I think is impossible, I asked to Wewi if he preferred monthly or annual payment. He answered monthly, don't know why, but probably an annual payment wasn't possible. Anyhow I never missed or delayed a payment.

E-3Date: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 8:19 PM | Message # 127
Lieutenant Colonel
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
Well, that proved to be wrong, because we had 38 players on Sunday. If the transition will smooth and gradual, barely anyone will notice.

I was very surprised when we got so many players on temporary server.
1 year ago we barely got 15 players, the fact that we got so many people this year, is in a large part probably due to the fact that you were in discord telling people about it.
So I think when we prepare this properly. Telling people to move to the new server on the old server and on the forum moddb discord facebook  twitter ( if we actually use twitter )
I do believe the loss of players will be minimum. In any case I believe it will only be a matter of few months before everybody knows about the new server.

Message edited by E-3 - Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 8:44 PM

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 8:20 PM | Message # 128
Lieutenant General
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
I fully support this. I can provide Windows 2016 server license which I got through Microsoft Imagine as a student. From what I can understand, it's normal license without restrictions, fully eligible for use on dedicated servers. Given that, only server rental fee will have to be paid, and at the Hetzner's auction you can get dedicated box with the same configuration as current server (3770k, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD) starting from 25€.

Imagine this one! There are 5 people I would expect are willing to donate monthly probably more. Thats 5€ or even less per donator! For myself no need to think about and choose a new Server. And give access for minimum 2 people. This way we avoid any jams in future for quite sure. Don't try to fix on things they are in cloudes and out of our hands for longer.

Gameserver admin on our FHSW Europ server

Message edited by Robert_von_Eberhahn - Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 8:22 PM

E-3Date: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 8:42 PM | Message # 129
Lieutenant Colonel
Quote marduk ()
just lol because pointless. He is ignoring us for 1 1/2 years. Why would he stop with it now? He won't.
Well here is the thing why did he pay for the server ? if he doesn't care about it anymore. he could have just left us with nothing and just disappear.
So some part of him still cares about this game ? or does he get some very weird pleasure, in giving everybody here stress, when the server goes offline and nobody knows what's going to happen. In any case I'm definitely tired of this bulshit of the server going offline and online again. So if he is impossible to contact we have no choice but to move server which also would be cheaper.

Message edited by E-3 - Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 8:46 PM

(HH)BenjaminDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 8:54 PM | Message # 130
Colonel
Group: Trusted
I think it's entirely possible that Wewak is deceased and had previously setup an automatic payment for the server while he was still alive, eventually that contract expired which is when the community started having these issues.

mardukDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 9:53 PM | Message # 131
General
Quote Benjamin: "while he was still alive"

Oh wow, so now it's a fact already that he is dead or what?!

@all: please stop conjecturing about wewak because it is not of any use nor does it help to find a solution!
It is enough to know that he has left the community but the server is still running due to lampos payments which most likely work out because of an automatic payment.

Focuss on the solution now!

Quote Robert: "Imagine this one! There are 5 people I would expect are willing to donate monthly probably more. Thats 5€ or even less per donator! For myself no need to think about and choose a new Server. And give access for minimum 2 people. This way we avoid any jams in future for quite sure. Don't try to fix on things they are in cloudes and out of our hands for longer."

I agree in all points and I am definitely willing to throw in 5 or 10 € each month!

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

(HH)BenjaminDate: Tuesday, 2018-11-06, 11:09 PM | Message # 132
Colonel
Group: Trusted
I just meant under that theoretical scenario he could be.

I am supportive of a new server and transaction though if that is the proposal; being in North America, transactions are a bit difficult, but if payments can be done through Paypal or such, I could contribute.

mardukDate: Wednesday, 2018-11-07, 8:15 AM | Message # 133
General
An idea I had was to rent the server, in the UK or Ireland for example, closer to our friends in America so they have a better ping. Although a server in the UK/Ireland might be more expensive and if it would mean only a limited improvement of the ping it wouldn't be worth it. But something we should consider.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

CanukAttakDate: Wednesday, 2018-11-07, 10:50 AM | Message # 134
Captain
A server closer to me is my dream! Right now I play around 170 ping, and temp server about 210. So it would be nice if it was closer but definitely not farther than it already is

starking018Date: Wednesday, 2018-11-07, 4:43 PM | Message # 135
Colonel
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()

I looked around their website and found that there is a way to use own Windows licenses on their dedicated servers:

[...] Hence, the use of own Microsoft licenses on a Windows operating system leased from us is not possible.

However, a client is able to install their own Windows version, using their own license. It is possible to install Windows via a KVM Console.

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.p....icenses

I also found this:

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Windows_Pricing_2018/en

It looks like since the beginning of this year they have increased the price for the Windows version included with our server. Not sure if this would have affected our existing contract or only new contracts. The price actually went from €25 to €27.49 when including German VAT. So, if they have increased the amount that they charged Wewak's account that would provide another explanation for why his account could have been depleted, possibly causing the billing to fail.

Quote marduk ()
An idea I had was to rent the server, in the UK or Ireland for example, closer to our friends in America so they have a better ping. Although a server in the UK/Ireland might be more expensive and if it would mean only a limited improvement of the ping it wouldn't be worth it. But something we should consider.

I wouldn't count on more than about 30ms reduction in latency for them (and a similar increase for many of us to the east). Still, it would be a non-negligible improvement for them.

I was doing a search just to see if there are some offers for overclocked dedicated servers (there are, but they seem overpriced) but I also came across this offer:

https://www.vilayer.com/virtual-servers/index.php

I have no idea who they are, but I see a few interesting things:
    * It is possible to order a virtual server with an amount of resources more suited to our needs, such as only 3 or 2 CPU cores at a similar or lower price than a Hetzner dedicated server like the one we use now. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like this provider, and others, offer virtual servers where we actually have the control to install and do whatever we want, much like on a dedicated server, and the performance (at least as advertised) seems decent.
    * CPU core speed seems higher (from the benchmark information they've included I guesstimate about 15-20%) which would reduce map change times a little.
    * They do offer London, among many other locations.
    * They have a feature where anyone can donate directly into an account at this company, which is then automatically billed by them (which, I guess, would save us some shuffling of money through someone's personal accounts).

Do you guys think that companies such as this and other virtual server providers deserve to be looked into more?

Message edited by starking018 - Wednesday, 2018-11-07, 4:45 PM

mardukDate: Wednesday, 2018-11-07, 5:25 PM | Message # 136
General
@Airtroll: thanks for your research smile
I am not so much into those technical issues but what you write sounds fine for me. Also the possibility to rent it in London plus the donating-feature convince me. If the price is the same or cheaper than with Hetzners that would also be an argument. I would like to hear more opinions though.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

RADIOSMERSHDate: Wednesday, 2018-11-07, 5:36 PM | Message # 137
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Quote starking018 ()
I looked around their website and found that there is a way to use own Windows licenses on their dedicated servers:

Yes, that what I was referring to, probably should have that link.

Quote starking018 ()
https://www.vilayer.com/virtual-servers/index.php

The website looks deceivingly professional, but from what I have read, they don't seem to be a reliable provider.

starking018Date: Friday, 2018-11-09, 2:37 PM | Message # 138
Colonel
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
The website looks deceivingly professional, but from what I have read, they don't seem to be a reliable provider.

OK, thanks for checking their reputation. I was afraid they might be some shitty or scammy company, but I posted the link anyway because it still gives us some ideas about what we might be able to find on the market in general. Especially the virtual private server/virtual dedicated server (VPS/VDS) with dedicated or guaranteed CPU cores, rather than shared ones where they must be selling more virtual cores than the number of physical cores on a machine. I see now that several server providers are offering this, although it is a pain in the ass to find out exactly what they are offering when often they don't tell you clearly on the website about this, or about the hardware and core frequencies they use. But I don't remember if I asked about VPS when we were looking for a server in the past. @Bubu and others, was or is there a reason to exclude VPS in general as a type of server to use? How many cores do we really need and use? Are 2 enough?

I haven't seen others advertising a similar feature where multiple people can be contributing towards the bill, but maybe there are others.

RADIOSMERSHDate: Friday, 2018-11-09, 8:21 PM | Message # 139
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Quote starking018 ()
I see now that several server providers are offering this, although it is a pain in the ass to find out exactly what they are offering when often they don't tell you clearly on the website about this, or about the hardware and core frequencies they use

Well, I'm sure we can find a decent offer on https://www.lowendtalk.com/ , especially if we ask about it directly. What do you think about those specifications: 2/3 cores 3.5+ GHz, 3-4 GB RAM, min. 50 GB of storage (SSD preferably), 1 Gbit/s (unmetered), located in UK or Netherlands?
Some companies offer a trial period, so I guess we can try several options.

Message edited by RADIOSMERSH - Friday, 2018-11-09, 8:22 PM

starking018Date: Sunday, 2018-11-11, 9:13 AM | Message # 140
Colonel
What exactly is LowEndTalk though? The server we want is not exactly low-end in terms of quality.

Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
What do you think about those specifications: 2/3 cores 3.5+ GHz, 3-4 GB RAM, min. 50 GB of storage (SSD preferably), 1 Gbit/s (unmetered), located in UK or Netherlands?

I think that we shouldn't go lower than what we use now (and can have again for about 29€ incl. VAT right now at https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=de ). Our current i7-3770 can boost up to 3.9GHz on one core, and this is probably the speed at which it is loading maps. So, I'd say 2 or 3 Intel cores with at least one guaranteed at 3.9+GHz at full speed, with no slowdown due to other things running on the same physical machine. Then I agree with 3-4 GB RAM, min. 50 GB of storage (SSD preferably), located in UK or Netherlands (preferably, but other western and central European places would be OK IMO). The bandwidth usage should be pretty low, so I don't think we even need 1 Gbps. 100Mbps should be enough. Bubu, please comment on all of this.

Message edited by starking018 - Sunday, 2018-11-11, 9:13 AM

Forum » [FHSW] Europe 0.611 Server: » Infos: » Our main server is offline and Wewak is unreachable (r) (Let's discuss setting up and maintaining a new server)
Search: