[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Bring back the old maps! (m) (Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WW2 & FHSW-maps)
Bring back the old maps! (m)
mardukDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 1:40 PM | Message # 1
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 45
Finished maps:

• Bastogne
  • Crete
  • Fall Gelb
  • Leyte Gulf Day 2
  • Ocean Town
  • Stashuv Area
  • Trois Ponts
  • Zielona Gora
  • Zveroboy

To Do:
  • Battle of Foy Classic
  • Eagles Nest
  • Operation Lilliput
  • Road to Ramelle
  • Spurning Fate Day
  • Spurning Fate 1945
  • The Attack on Carentan

In order to make FHSW more interesting for old players as well as for new players I think it would be a good possibility to create a mappack.
    There are lots of old maps that could be used. I have no idea about mapping and dont know how much work it would be to update Bf1942 vanilla/Road to Rome/Secret Weapons of WW2-maps with the FHSW-textures and vehicles. Maybe it is too much work, then forget my idea. But perhaps it is possible and we could create a mappack with the best ones of the old maps.
    Also, we could include "Leyte Gulf Day 2" and "Ocean Town" in the mappack.
    If that is too much work, wouldnt it be at least quite easy to bring back the FHSW-maps that were removed in the newer versions!?

BF1942:

-Kursk
    -Market Garden
    -Omaha Beach
    -Stalingrad

Road to Rome:

Secret Weapons of WW2:

FHSW:

-Carentan
    -Bastogne
    -Stashuv Area
    -Saipan
    -Operation Blacknight
    -Spurning Fate
    -Stalingrad Redsquare
    -Crete
    -Trois Points
    -Operation Liliput
    -Fht Sittang Bridge

This is a thread supposed for admins and mappers. Please do not post any stuff like "I would love to see this and that map". I only want to determine if it is possible what I suggested. Thank you!

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk
  •  
    XenanabDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 4:31 PM | Message # 2
    Colonel
    Group: Silver Donator
    Awards: 19
    As of today, I got around 3 weeks of free time. Time which I could spend in converting some maps.
    Converting a map to FHSW is not a very difficult process.

The main reason why I hesitate on doing some simple conversions is that I find most of the old vanilla maps very unappealing visualwise.
    Some maps like "The Gothic Line" or "Market Garden" didn't really age well after 13 years. Also some maps have lots of flaws concerning gameplay if you want to play them with FHSW mod. For example "Battleaxe" would be a terrible choice if you ask me.

I have joined FHSW on version 0.51. So I don't even know maps like "Attack on Carentan" or "Bastogne". That's the reason I step back there, since I don't know how these maps work gameplaywise.

I would really like to see "Operation Blacknight" and "Spurning Fate" back though.
    Maybe I should consider a look on these. I wonder what was the reason for their abandoning after the 0.55 update...

mardukDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 5:57 PM | Message # 3
    General
    I thought Omaha Beach and Market Garden could be nice when some changes were made.
    Also, Operation Husky, Montecassino and Anzio from Road to Rome and at least Eagles Nest from Secret Weapons of WW2 should work out for FHSW.

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

RADIOSMERSHDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 8:23 PM | Message # 4
    FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
    Group: Bronze Donator
    Awards: 27
    Quote marduk ()
    In order to make FHSW more interesting for old players as well as for new players I think it would be a good possibility to create a mappack.

Maybe we can set a special day for mappack then, for example, Thursday?

Quote Xenanab ()
    I wonder what was the reason for their abandoning after the 0.55 update...

And that's why we need to organize a play test session to find it out.

Btw, if you might remember, I put all deleted maps in one pack more than a year ago: http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/34-488-1

mardukDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 8:38 PM | Message # 5
    General
    @Radio: That was a good idea of you, but unfortunately we never used your mappack. I want to create a mappack together with you guys that includes selected and FHSW-modded BF 1942 vanilla/Road to Rome/Secret Weapons of WW2-maps as well as the removed FHSW-maps. This mappack should be announced and promoted like a new version of FHSW (advertisements on all important forums, renaming the server in order to call attention for the mappack etc.) so that (nearly) all of our players download it. Then we could play those maps every day which would make FHSW way more attractive I think.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

XenanabDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 9:08 PM | Message # 6
    Colonel
    The next days I will take a closer look on Eagles Nest.
    But don't expect an Alpenfestung 2.0

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 9:51 PM | Message # 7
    Lieutenant General
    Perhaps anyone can fix trois ponts too ?!  please

Gameserver admin on our FHSW Europ server

Message edited by Robert_von_Eberhahn - Tuesday, 2015-09-15, 9:53 PM

(HH)BenjaminDate: Wednesday, 2015-09-16, 3:22 AM | Message # 8
    Colonel
    Group: Trusted
    Awards: 9
    I think this is a great idea! I really enjoyed playing Radio's mappack a few times, it's really too bad that that wasn't downloaded by the community, as that had a lot of good maps in it. Anyways I'm really supportive of trying to incorporate the expansion pack maps into FHSW, as these are really unique maps that would fit FHSW perfectly. Also, I'm not sure if you guys already know this, but regular FH already has FH converted Bocage map I believe and possibly a Market Garden, would that be a good place to start for converting to FHSW, or would that make it more difficult? Anyways I'm full on board!

mardukDate: Wednesday, 2015-09-16, 5:53 AM | Message # 9
    General
    @Robert: Thanks for mentioning Trois Points, i totally forgot this great map.

@Ben: I think it is just a matter of good advertisement. If we do it right and everybody gets to know about our mappack, then we could play those maps every day.

@Xenanab: Thanks for your work already!

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

OPTIMUSDate: Wednesday, 2015-09-16, 10:04 AM | Message # 10
    Sergeant
    Group: Gold Donator
    Awards: 5
    I like this idea, wish I could contribute but my knowledge of creating and editing maps is very poor. Best of luck though lads!

RADIOSMERSHDate: Wednesday, 2015-09-16, 6:55 PM | Message # 11
    FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
    Quote marduk ()
    @Radio: That was a good idea of you, but unfortunately we never used your mappack.

Yeah, I know. I just posted it so you won't need to look through the old FHSW versions in search of maps.

mardukDate: Thursday, 2015-09-17, 4:02 PM | Message # 12
    General
    As far as I can see, it should not be too much work to do the following things:

1. Xenanab: modding Eagles Nest.

2. Additionally: who can fix
    Trois Points
    Alaska?

3. Radio: creating a new mappack with the following maps (I used the most maps of your first mappack):

Bastogne 1944
    Battle of Foy
    Fall Gelb
    Iwo Jima day1
    Market Garden
    Road To Ramelle
    Spurning Fate 1943 day
    The Attack on Carentan 1944
    The last bullet
    Zielona Gora 1944
    Zveroboy
    +
    Leyte Gulf Day 2
    Ocean Town
    +
    Eagles Nest
    Stalingrad Redsquare
    Saipan
    (Alaska,
    Trois Points?)

After uploading the mappack on the server, it should be renamed to:

FSHW-Europ.ucoz.de+mappack!   or, if there is enough space:   FHSW0.522+mappack=>FHSW-Europ.ucoz.de

The download-link to the mappack must be on the frontpage in a way you can not overlook it.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

wewakDate: Thursday, 2015-09-17, 4:46 PM | Message # 13
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Group: Friends
    Awards: 3
    Great idea!
    There is a working Stalingrad Redsquare 'day 2' from some japanese tournament
    Maybe some other maps they used such as Westminister 1942 and The Nebelwerfer Hunt could be good too ( I can upload these if u want)
    also I have an attack on pearl harbour map but I havent tried it yet

mardukDate: Thursday, 2015-09-17, 5:36 PM | Message # 14
    General
    @wewak: yes, please upload them so Radio can add them to the mappack (if they are worth it wink ).

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

Endless_NamelessDate: Thursday, 2015-09-17, 6:18 PM | Message # 15
    General
    Awards: 38
    I doubt it would attract new players (additional downloads make it usually less likely that new players join) but for the long time players it could spark new interest. So I support it.

My current motivation for FHSW is pretty low though so I doubt I'll work on the maps personally.

My Youtube Channel
    aka eYe.ris

crazygameloverDate: Thursday, 2015-09-17, 9:46 PM | Message # 16
    Colonel
    Awards: 13
    Some of those maps should be updated to include newer content that wasn't in the mod when those maps were. (M24 Chaffee on Bastogne, for example). Other maps in that list aren't the highest quality and are rather redundant (Iwo Jima Day1, Bocage, Coral Sea, Market Garden). Maybe we should start with just the recently removed maps first such as Sittang, Crete, Lilliput, etc. before going all the way back to v0.3 + earlier. I'd still support this community mappack, though. There are a few really unique maps that I'd like to play again and would gladly download a mappack that includes them.

starking018Date: Friday, 2015-09-18, 1:10 AM | Message # 17
    Colonel
    Group: Friends
    Awards: 22
    There are recent SSMs from PrinceUmeboshi for:
    • Saipan-1944
    • Stalingrad_RedSquare

What was wrong with them? I can test these SSMs if I know what issues we had with them.

Personally, I would like to see these maps (somewhat ordered by preference):

Fix for:
    • Monster des Stahles (lag)
    • Saipan-1944 (should be OK)
    • Alaska (crashes too often)

Restore:
    • Operation Blackknight - 1945
    • Crete
    • FHT Sittang Bridge - 1942

Conversion for (mainly because they can be played even with very few players):
    • Bocage
    • Fall Gelb
    • Raid on Agheila
    • Market Garden
    • Kursk

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

(HH)BenjaminDate: Friday, 2015-09-18, 2:32 AM | Message # 18
    Colonel
    Awards: 9
    I would really like to see some of the "Road to Rome" maps included in this too as long as some people are working on "Secret Weapons of WW2", it probably wouldn't be too much work to do those also.

mardukDate: Friday, 2015-09-18, 6:49 AM | Message # 19
    General
    Thanks four your posts! This is the discussion i wanted. Now we can sort out the maps and talk about the assets we want to add to the maps smile

@crazygamelover: I also think that we can remove Bocage and Coral Sea. I don't think I know Iwo Jima Day1 and Market Garden could become a good map with some modding I think.

@starking: could you post the links to the ssm's of
    • Saipan-1944
    • Stalingrad_RedSquare

so Radio can use them for the mappack?

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

RADIOSMERSHDate: Friday, 2015-09-18, 8:39 AM | Message # 20
    FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
    Quote marduk ()
    @starking: could you post the links to the ssm's of

I think he means PrinceUmeboshi's ftp:
    ftp://princeumeboshi2.servegame.com/modfile....ide_map

Quote starking018 ()
    Crete

Crete crashes on 0.552, there is some issue with Objects.con files, but I think I'll be able to fix it.

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Bring back the old maps! (m) (Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WW2 & FHSW-maps)
    Search: