[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Bring back the old maps! (m) (Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WW2 & FHSW-maps)
Bring back the old maps! (m)
Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2015-10-28, 6:12 PM | Message # 241
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
Quote marduk ()
@Endless: can we name the server: FSHW-Europ.ucoz.de+mappack! or, if there is enough space: FHSW0.522+mappack=>FHSW-Europ.ucoz.de to ensure everybody gets to know about the mappack and where to download it!?

Yea will do. Although I doubt that many read the server name. I believe they get the message "Map is missing" which should make them aware that they have to download something.

Here's the finished mappack: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0....ownload

Quote Xenanab ()
Just to make that clear again: The mappack needs Ocean Town and the update file I have posted above !
Both files are new. I didn't create a 002 update because I know that many people have a wrong 001 file already and that it definiteley should be overwritten with my new one.
The 001 file contains better object lightmapps for some statics; ergo: the map looks nicer !

I included the 001 changes into the main file, people might have to delete the 001 first then. It's only lightmaps so nothing game-breaking.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

RADIOSMERSHDate: Wednesday, 2015-10-28, 8:04 PM | Message # 242
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote Endless_Nameless ()
.zip file, installer is a lot of additional work and another possible source of errors. And it's a lot harder to update it.

What about making installer an alternate option? Here is the code I wrote it and I think it's rather simple:

Code
[Setup]AppName=FHSW-Europe Fanmappack 1
AppVersion=1.0
DefaultDirName={code:GetPath}
DefaultGroupName=Installer
AppendDefaultDirName=no
AllowNoIcons=yes
SetupIconFile=D:\fhswdev\Installer\res\fhsw.ico
DisableReadyPage=yes
Uninstallable = no
WizardImageFile=D:\fhswdev\Installer\res\wizard.bmp
PrivilegesRequired=lowest
DirExistsWarning=No

[Files]Source: "D:\fhswdev\Installer\levels\*"; DestDir: "{app}\Mods\FHSW\Archives\bf1942\levels";

[Languages]Name: "en"; MessagesFile: "res/Default.isl"

[Code]function GetPath(Param: String): String;
var temp: String;
begin
    if RegQueryStringValue(HKLM, 'Software\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942', 'GAMEDIR', temp) then
    Result := temp
      else RegQueryStringValue(HKLM, 'Software\Origin\Battlefield 1942', 'GAMEDIR', Result);
end;

Full installer source code with resource files:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104527564/FHSW/Installer.zip

It automatically reads BF1942 installation directory location from registry (if such a value exists, of course).

Message edited by RADIOSMERSH - Wednesday, 2015-10-28, 8:07 PM

mardukDate: Wednesday, 2015-10-28, 8:05 PM | Message # 243
General
Awards: 45
Thank you all!
Great teamwork!
Good job!

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

RADIOSMERSHDate: Thursday, 2015-10-29, 11:00 AM | Message # 244
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Here is the compiled installer:
https://drive.google.com/file....sharing

Message edited by RADIOSMERSH - Thursday, 2015-10-29, 2:40 PM

XenanabDate: Thursday, 2015-10-29, 11:08 PM | Message # 245
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
We need to spread download links at:

- moddb <- veeery important because players get their game from there
- japanese FHSW forums <- it seems that they already know about that, but they need to get the real download link
- maybe FHT forums
- other BF related places
- FHSW wikia

only then we can expect that people actually play these maps with us.

An event on Sunday could also give a push.

Message edited by Xenanab - Thursday, 2015-10-29, 11:09 PM

mardukDate: Friday, 2015-10-30, 5:12 PM | Message # 246
General
I think there is a problem with Op. Liliput. I tried to join the map twice and was kicked to the desktop (game crashed).

This is a gaming community. People come here to relax. If you start an argument you will get kicked.

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

starking018Date: Friday, 2015-10-30, 6:40 PM | Message # 247
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
Marduk, you probably forgot to remove some of these files:
  • Operation_Lilliput_002.rfa
  • fht_sittang_bridge-1942_002.rfa
  • Spurning_Fate-1945_002.rfa
  • Ocean_Town_001.rfa

Those of you who have these files from previous versions of the maps need to delete them!

I have a question about crediting the authors of the maps we are including in the mappack. First of all, have we asked them (like tekktekk for Battle of Leyte Gulf Day2) if they are OK with us including their maps in a mappack and distributing them? Secondly, perhaps we should write a readme file where all the authors are credited (although some maps include the credits within themselves).

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

XenanabDate: Friday, 2015-10-30, 11:17 PM | Message # 248
Colonel
Is somebody good at Web Design? I have made some screenshots of the new maps ( Trois Ponts and Leyte 2 are exceptions ) and just can't put them together that it will look good.

Maybe we should swap the new creation with Mayer's 5th anniversary banner.
A mappack banner evokes attention and helps promoting the mappack !

Here are the screenshots as PDFs:
Screenshots

The camera angle is always pretty similar to achieve some consistency.
Anyone an idea for a good design? Or better motive suggestions?

Message edited by Xenanab - Friday, 2015-10-30, 11:18 PM

Endless_NamelessDate: Saturday, 2015-10-31, 9:46 AM | Message # 249
General
Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
Here is the compiled installer:
https://drive.google.com/file....sharing

Thanks, good job.

Quote marduk ()
I think there is a problem with Op. Liliput. I tried to join the map twice and was kicked to the desktop (game crashed).

Yes delete all previous test versions first. The easiest way is to sort by date and just delete all maps from 2015.

Quote Xenanab ()
We need to spread download links at:

- moddb <- veeery important because players get their game from there
- japanese FHSW forums <- it seems that they already know about that, but they need to get the real download link
- maybe FHT forums
- other BF related places
- FHSW wikia

only then we can expect that people actually play these maps with us.

Outside of this site and maybe FHT there are no real BF1942 communites left, let alone FHSW. Especially moddb has been a big disappointment and I don't feel like posting anything there anymore. I also doubt people will download and install FHSW just because of a mappack. When we played Leyte Gulf Day 2 for the first time a lot of people joined (iirc about 30) and we didn't announce it anywhere besides in-game and on this site. So an event seems to be the best idea imo.

Quote Xenanab ()
Is somebody good at Web Design? I have made some screenshots of the new maps ( Trois Ponts and Leyte 2 are exceptions ) and just can't put them together that it will look good.

Maybe we should swap the new creation with Mayer's 5th anniversary banner.
A mappack banner evokes attention and helps promoting the mappack !

Sorry, I don't have the necessary skills but they are some nice atmospheric shots. My only complaint is the missing Anti-Aliasing.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2015-10-31, 12:32 PM | Message # 250
Colonel
Quote Endless_Nameless ()
Outside of this site and maybe FHT there are no real BF1942 communites left, let alone FHSW. Especially moddb has been a big disappointment and I don't feel like posting anything there anymore.

I meant that the mappack download should be offered at the end of the moddb installation tutorial. Because then people, who want to get started with FHSW, have the possibility to download the mappack directly after the main installation. That way we can make sure that the mappack maps one day will become basic levels of our map rotation and not maps for 'special occasions'.

I could make new screenshots with Anti Aliasing but I hope my laptop won't melt then.

(HH)BenjaminDate: Saturday, 2015-10-31, 3:24 PM | Message # 251
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 9
That's a good idea Xen, it's a nice way to heavily suggest to do it.

starking018Date: Saturday, 2015-10-31, 3:47 PM | Message # 252
Colonel
Here are some issues and suggestions after playing some of the maps yesterday. Some of them can be fixed via SSM:

Eagles Nest 1945:
Sometimes there was a new Flettner waiting, but no pilot's kit in the box. I had to wait for the kit to spawn. Please make it so that the kit respawns instantly and there can be at least as many kits as there can be Flettners (2?). Maybe someone will bail a Flettner and hold the kit for a long time after that. For that reason it may be a good idea to have even more of the kits than there are Flettners.

There was also a situation where Axis held only the last flag (3) and had no tanks left! For example, the Panzer 4 was lost merely because it was abandoned not too far outside the base (maybe increase this radius). The tanks take a long time to respawn. It would be nice if there is some tank that respawns very quickly (no more than 15 seconds), perhaps the Panzer 2.

Bastogne-1944:
The minimap doesn't show at all that Allies have a permanent spawn at the south end of the map and two roads out of there that lead to the two sides of the main battlefield, and that the land around the roads is a no-go area (outside map). The minimap is just black there. If the minimap showed all of this it would prevent some confusion.

Also, the faster vehicles can go quickly between the south base (the permanent spawn) and the south flag through the no-go area and survive. It is not intended to be like that, so perhaps we should add some barrier to prevent this.

Message edited by starking018 - Saturday, 2015-10-31, 5:10 PM

XenanabDate: Saturday, 2015-10-31, 5:01 PM | Message # 253
Colonel
Quote starking018 ()
Sometimes there was a new Flettner waiting, but no pilot's kit in the box. I had to wait for the kit to spawn. Please make it so that the kit respawns instantly and there can be at least as many kits as there can be Flettners (2?). Maybe someone will bail a Flettner and hold the kit for a long time after that. For that reason it may be a good idea to have even more of the kits than there are Flettners.
The kit spawns immediately but there spawns only one single kit in the box. That's because the expacks can have a huge impact on balancing when defending a hill position. So I wanted to
restrict axis' use of expack kits to 1. There are 2 Flettners.

Quote starking018 ()
There was also a situation where Axis held only the last flag (3) and had no tanks left! For example, the Panzer 4 was lost merely because it was abandoned not too far outside the base (maybe increase this radius). The tanks take a long time to respawn. It would be nice if there is some tank that respawns very quickly (no more than 15 seconds), perhaps the Panzer 2.

That's something where I would wait for battles with at least 20 people. Eagle's Nest is an interesting map when allies are able to push to the villa. If their advance experiences a total stop somewhere inbetween flags there is no reason for axis to worry about the Nest at all. I wanted to avoid the Alpenfestung late-game situation. But maybe the Panzer II could respawn more frequently.

Concerning Bastogne, I think it was the mapper's intention to keep the southern area of the battlefield black. Maybe that's because the Germans have to deal with a 'surprise attack' from east and west (havn't watch that Band of Brothers episode though).

EDIT: Seems that my graphic card doesn't want to handle AA at all... so don't expect better screenshots at all ^^

Message edited by Xenanab - Saturday, 2015-10-31, 5:31 PM

starking018Date: Monday, 2015-11-02, 10:30 PM | Message # 254
Colonel
The expacks aren't very powerful. It took at least two to kill a Sherman. But if we keep this kit to 1, how about adding a different kit with a parachute there? Or... a Jetpack biggrin

Added (2015-11-02, 9:30 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Some more observations about Eagle's Nest:

One time both Flettners were abandoned at flag 1 and stayed there for a long time. I think the self-destruct radius should be very small (20-40 meters).
One time we ran out of kits around the repair pad near flag 2. Maybe add some more good kits there, like assault and AT kits.

It was nice that Allies did well on the map yesterday. Very different from the day before.

XenanabDate: Tuesday, 2015-11-03, 0:04 AM | Message # 255
Colonel
Yes that was a nice battle. It seems to me that the effeciency of the American army strongly depends on their knowledge of the map's topography and axis hanomag apc.
I hope you see why I don't want axis to have strong counter spawn. Noone would disagree that the most exciting part of the map is the raid on the Nest itself and not the unleashed power of German tanks.

All suggestions on vehicle spawn templates now belong to the serverside modding thread since I won't do any new edits on Eagles Nest for FHSW 0.552 anymore.

@ eYe: I think you should reconsider your opinion on the moddb thing. I repeat: If we make sure that every single new FHSW player downloads the mappack we will one day achieve a basic map rotation with the new levels. I suggest to offer a download link everywhere where you can download FHSW.
For moddb and the FHSW wikia that means: At the end of the installation tutorial there should be the link and the notification, that this pack is required to play at least on FHSW-Europe server.

Endless_NamelessDate: Wednesday, 2015-11-04, 7:24 PM | Message # 256
General
Alright, I have added a link to the moddb tutorial.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Wednesday, 2015-11-04, 10:16 PM | Message # 257
Colonel
Thank you very much eYe !

Now there needs to be a link on the Wikia and I think we have the most important places covered.

Looking forward to the upcoming event.

Message edited by Xenanab - Wednesday, 2015-11-04, 11:24 PM

RADIOSMERSHDate: Thursday, 2015-11-05, 9:46 AM | Message # 258
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Quote Xenanab ()
Now there needs to be a link on the Wikia and I think we have the most important places covered.

I'll take care of that.

Added (2015-11-05, 8:46 AM)
---------------------------------------------
Done.

starking018Date: Wednesday, 2015-11-11, 2:21 PM | Message # 259
Colonel
Some more things that could be fixed/improved for a next version (some may be fixable via SSM) of Bastogne-1944:

• There are the uprooted, overturned tree objects which are bugged and cause problems on other maps too. When you bump into them with a vehicle it tends to explode way too easily. It happens too often.
  • There is a death zone that prevents some axis vehicles (SdKfz 222 for one) from going into the side routes (black zones on minimap). However, this death zone doesn't work for the spawn truck.
  • Axis have no permanent spawn point at the north end of the map, just a spawn truck, which is very useful tactically closer to the battlefield, so what happens often is that there are a Panther and a SdKfz 222 away from any spawn and players have to walk there to bring these vehicles. It would be much better if all these vehicles spawn near the permanent spawn point, saving time walking to the vehicle and then rolling back with it. The waste of time is even greater for the allied tanks, so perhaps move those closer to the battlefield, too. At the same time it would remedy several other of the things I mentioned (the minimap, the shortcut).
  • At one time on Sunday there was a issue with the spawn interface for the spawn truck. It was like when there are multiple spawn vehicles associated with just one spawn point to select in the interface, and this one spawn point is displayed on the map not where either of the vehicles is located, but somewhere in the middle of all the spawn vehicles for that spawn point. So it's displayed at some odd location and you don't know where you will spawn when you select that spawn point. I couldn't figure out if there was actually a second spawn vehicle or if it was some bug. Either way, having spawn points that spawn you in a random place sucks, so please fix this, if possible (either have a separate spawn point selectable on the interface for each vehicle or fix whatever bug is causing this).

And for Spurning Fate - day - it showed an odd loading screen (a picture from the readme folder of FHSW).

mardukDate: Thursday, 2015-11-12, 9:23 PM | Message # 260
General
Regarding the Installation Guide for FHSW: http://www.moddb.com/members....or-fhsw
Please remove the word "Optional:" at 5) Optional: Download and install the FHSW Mappack 1
We want all players to download the mappack.
Thank you!

Quid pro quo.

Marduk aka Postduk

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Bring back the old maps! (m) (Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WW2 & FHSW-maps)
Search: