[ Updated threads · New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Bring back the old maps! (m) (Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WW2 & FHSW-maps)
Bring back the old maps! (m)
XenanabDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 11:17 AM | Message # 101
Colonel
Group: Silver Donator
Awards: 19
Thanks a lot!
Now we might test it on our server.

starking018Date: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 1:55 PM | Message # 102
Colonel
Group: Friends
Awards: 22
I started my server for map testing. Settings are a little different (like very low spawn time, etc).

P.S.: Eagles_Nest version from RADIO is included.

Air Troll a.k.a. starking018

Message edited by starking018 - Sunday, 2015-09-27, 1:57 PM

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 2:09 PM | Message # 103
Lieutenant General
many thx!

Gameserver admin on our FHSW Europ server

starking018Date: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 3:33 PM | Message # 104
Colonel
Me and wewak were testing Eagle's Nest and here are some things I noticed:

• 1. There is a sound bug that appears from time to time. I can hear something like a bomb falling in the distance in perpetuity. I went in freecam and followed the source of the sound and it sounds like it is coming from A8 (coordinates x=0, y=0). I have not found what causes this bug.
  • 2. It is strange how the flags are. There are only 3 flags in regular push mode (with cages, etc. working). There is one flag which works like a normal flag - any team can cap it at any time. There are also two flags that are neutral from the start and only allies can capture them, and it says on the map that allies should attack them first. However, in practice allies can go straight for flag "1" (first one from the push system) skipping 3 flags. I think it is odd that the push system covers only 3 of 6 flags, but I also think it's OK as it is, because I don't like unnecessary restrictions. I think it makes sense to have the push system only for flags which are connected by only one way anyway. It still bothers me just a little that allies may want to attack flag 2 before flag 1 is taken (flag 1 is to the side of the road). So if flag 1 was in C4 (as it is in SW WWII), or if flag 1 was a normal non-push flag, I would like it a little more. But it doesn't bother me much as it is.
  • 3. Since allied main is remote (by original map design) they need more fast transportation into the battlefield. The only relatively fast vehicle they have in main from the start is a truck. A Jeep spawned in main only after allies took some of the push-system flags. They need more Jeeps and motorcycles in main. Perhaps an M8 Greyhound too. A M8 spawned at one of the first flags, but again, only after some of the push-system flags was taken. Also, maybe it would be nice to have some of the same tanks that spawn in main spawn at some of the flags when allies capture it. As if they get transported closer to the battlefield (so that players don't have to waste time doing it).
  • 4. There is only the most useless Flettner with a machinegun. Couldn't we have some of the better flettners, perhaps two of them?

Message edited by starking018 - Sunday, 2015-09-27, 3:35 PM

Endless_NamelessDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 4:05 PM | Message # 105
General
Group: Admins
Awards: 38
Quote starking018 ()
1. There is a sound bug that appears from time to time. I can hear something like a bomb falling in the distance in perpetuity. I went in freecam and followed the source of the sound and it sounds like it is coming from A8 (coordinates x=0, y=0). I have not found what causes this bug.

It's caused by the Flettner with smoke grenades, I remember fixing it when working on the S&T Pack.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Mr_JDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 4:40 PM | Message # 106
Accessory Admin
Radiosmersh, could you answer me if you are willing to put some work into converting and possibly revising those polish maps? If yes, I'm going to talk to them in the blink of an eye.

XenanabDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 5:00 PM | Message # 107
Colonel
Quote starking018 ()
1. There is a sound bug that appears from time to time. I can hear something like a bomb falling in the distance in perpetuity. I went in freecam and followed the source of the sound and it sounds like it is coming from A8 (coordinates x=0, y=0). I have not found what causes this bug.
Don't have that one. But it could of course be a problem with the Flettner Raucher.

Quote starking018 ()
2. It is strange how the flags are. There are only 3 flags in regular push mode (with cages, etc. working). There is one flag which works like a normal flag - any team can cap it at any time. There are also two flags that are neutral from the start and only allies can capture them, and it says on the map that allies should attack them first. However, in practice allies can go straight for flag "1" (first one from the push system) skipping 3 flags. I think it is odd that the push system covers only 3 of 6 flags, but I also think it's OK as it is, because I don't like unnecessary restrictions. I think it makes sense to have the push system only for flags which are connected by only one way anyway. It still bothers me just a little that allies may want to attack flag 2 before flag 1 is taken (flag 1 is to the side of the road). So if flag 1 was in C4 (as it is in SW WWII), or if flag 1 was a normal non-push flag, I would like it a little more. But it doesn't bother me much as it is.

Okay, here is one thing I really liked about Eagles Nest back then when it was played on Moongamers Vanilla servers. It was the awesome scenario when allies manged to capture the Nest but axis could recapture the Settlement. Usually there was no Allied main and each map could be captured by the enemy. Eagles Nest was a conquest 'hybrid' map which offered exciting and dynamic gameplay.
With this version I wanted to cover both the possibility to backcap this certain flag, and the possibility to do a Pushmap so the attack on the Nest is more exciting than just a sneaky move where a jeep just goes up the mountain.

I changed the position of the first pushmap flag from the red house to the camp 'cause the old position would have been (again) an absolute Panzerfaust campfest; something that I really dislike on maps like Reichbahn were it is normal that your fatass tank gets shot everytime by a freakin' Panzerschreck. Experiencing that on every late war US vs. Ger map is annoying and frustrating as shit (personal opinion).
I still agree that it may seem weird first but just imagine: The Nest is taken and the pilot of the Flettner manages to backcap the village so Axis team gains more time to win this map  ( allies can only win by erasing axis team ). Also there will spawn a Spawn Hanomag for axis at the red house.

The two flags in the east, allies have to capture first, is to give axis more time to build up their defences. Only when both flags are taken, allied team gets reinforcements at the main.

Quote starking018 ()
3. Since allied main is remote (by original map design) they need more fast transportation into the battlefield. The only relatively fast vehicle they have in main from the start is a truck. A Jeep spawned in main only after allies took some of the push-system flags. They need more Jeeps and motorcycles in main. Perhaps an M8 Greyhound too. A M8 spawned at one of the first flags, but again, only after some of the push-system flags was taken. Also, maybe it would be nice to have some of the same tanks that spawn in main spawn at some of the flags when allies capture it. As if they get transported closer to the battlefield (so that players don't have to waste time doing it).

Sounds reasonable. I will take it under consideration adding some American Spawns at the 1st pushmap flag. More Willies and Harleys are a good suggestion.
At the moment there is only one M3A1 spawn apc. I wanted to add at least a second spawn apc if I'm not able to make the M16 MGMC a vehicle spawn point.

Quote starking018 ()
4. There is only the most useless Flettner with a machinegun. Couldn't we have some of the better flettners, perhaps two of them?
Since allies have an open landing spot for paratroopers a Gießkanne would be agony.
Since allies dont have any badass tanks the Flettner Panzerschreck would be OP.

The only other possibility is the normal one with 20 mm maschine canon.
I have added a Raucher because it rarely appeares on any other map in FHSW. I also liked the idea of having a sneaky Smoke Grenade thrower in order to prevent allied tanks from aiming up on the mountain.
But an additional 'normal' Flettner could make it a bit more interesting. I agree.

Pickup kits are in the works! There will be an awesome special kit for Flettner pilots.

RADIOSMERSHDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 5:06 PM | Message # 108
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Group: Bronze Donator
Awards: 27
Quote Mr_J ()
Radiosmersh, could you answer me if you are willing to put some work into converting and possibly revising those polish maps? If yes, I'm going to talk to them in the blink of an eye.
Yes, I would like to do that.

Added (2015-09-27, 4:06 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Oops, sorry, haven't noticed your previous post amongst others.

Robert_von_EberhahnDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 5:08 PM | Message # 109
Lieutenant General
@ Xena add the rocketeer pick up kit please, I think it would fit nice in that map

Gameserver admin on our FHSW Europ server

Message edited by Robert_von_Eberhahn - Sunday, 2015-09-27, 5:08 PM

Endless_NamelessDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 5:50 PM | Message # 110
General
Quote Mr_J ()

Hint: I don't know if they use custom animations but if they do you won't be able to use them as map-side mod.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

XenanabDate: Sunday, 2015-09-27, 10:55 PM | Message # 111
Colonel
Question: If the name "Eagles Nest" causes trouble because people may have another version of that map already in their game folder, would the name "Eagles Nest 1945" avoid any issues?

(HH)BenjaminDate: Monday, 2015-09-28, 3:28 AM | Message # 112
Colonel
Group: Trusted
Awards: 9
Renaming it to "Eagles Nest 1945" would help my situation.

crazygameloverDate: Monday, 2015-09-28, 12:59 PM | Message # 113
Colonel
Awards: 13
Is Stashuv still being worked on? ATM it lags heavily in the northern part of the map if you're using the S&T pack.

starking018Date: Monday, 2015-09-28, 4:02 PM | Message # 114
Colonel
Quote Xenanab ()
With this version I wanted to cover both the possibility to backcap this certain flag

This is good, but how about the possibility to backcap what is now push flag 1? I think it would be better if this flag was normal so that both: 1. axis can cap it at any time and 2. allies can go straight for the next flag up the road.

Another thing that needs to be considered is that once allies take all push mode flags and the Flettners are gone then the only way for axis to take the flags back would be to go all the way to the top. Allies will defend from flags that can't be captured and axis need to sneak all the way to the top. It would be weird. Unless it is possible to reverse the direction of the push system once allies get to the last flag.

Quote Xenanab ()
I changed the position of the first pushmap flag from the red house to the camp 'cause the old position would have been (again) an absolute Panzerfaust campfest;

It would indeed. However, there are other things you could have done to avoid this. Did you think of making the walls around the red house destructible? When they get destroyed AT defenders can't take cover there any more (then only the house and APC remain).

I think the location you chose in the camp is good, but it would be worth it to make the stone walls around the red house destructible anyway. Maybe the walls around the normal flag (what you call the Settlement/Village) too.

Quote Xenanab ()
The two flags in the east, allies have to capture first, is to give axis more time to build up their defences. Only when both flags are taken, allied team gets reinforcements at the main.

I see. It's a bit unintuitive then. The southern of those two flags, the one in E6, is a bit remote and out of the way to the other flags. Many players will be inclined to just ignore it (and may not know or understand or care that stuff spawns somewhere else if they capture this flag). It would be better if you at least move it north a little and set a very large radius so that it covers both roads south of the lake so that players at least don't have to make an unnecessary detour. Then add tanks and other goodies that spawn at those flags and not somewhere else, so that the same player who captures the flag can immediately make use of them.

Also, maybe I was mistaken when I said that an M8 spawned at one of those flags and a Jeep spawned in main only after some of the push flags was taken. I don't know exactly when they spawned because I was not there to see it. Maybe the Jeep spawned from the normal flag or from one of the first 2 flags. Anyway, my point was that allies need fast vehicles from the start. Or, in general, early in the game. If one of the first 2 flags spawns such vehicles, then the players who join the game late will be able to get into combat quickly.

For the name conflicts:
Apart from Eagles_Nest there are also conversions for Essen, Telemark and monte_cassino for FH. Those are custom maps and so some have them and some don't. Apparently the issue arises because FHSW mod works on top of FH and so if there is an entirely different map with the same name in the \Mods\FH\Archives\bf1942\levels directory there can be a conflict that causes the FHSW map not to work. Some of the custom maps that are played on PFC are known to cause problems in FHSW so FHSW players better not mix them anyway (a solution is to remove the custom FH maps, except Forgotten Hope Fan Mappack 6, and if you want to still be able to play those too, have a copy of the entire Battlefield 1942 directory with all the custom FH maps in, and start FH from there). However, it would be nice if we can avoid creating new conflicts by using unique names for new maps.

Endless_NamelessDate: Monday, 2015-09-28, 5:15 PM | Message # 115
General
Quote Xenanab ()
Question: If the name "Eagles Nest" causes trouble because people may have another version of that map already in their game folder, would the name "Eagles Nest 1945" avoid any issues?

Yes.

Quote crazygamelover ()
Is Stashuv still being worked on? ATM it lags heavily in the northern part of the map if you're using the S&T pack.

Sure it's only with S&T pack? Is there a Stashuv Area map in your STFHSW levels folder?

I don't have this problem btw.

My Youtube Channel
aka eYe.ris

Stefan1990Date: Monday, 2015-09-28, 6:09 PM | Message # 116
General
Awards: 10
A dream come true! the first FHSW-Europe Mappack seems to grow!!! biggrin
Guys you are awesome!

RADIOSMERSHDate: Monday, 2015-09-28, 8:52 PM | Message # 117
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
I've found out why push mode didn't work on Carentan and it is pretty dumb: I just forgot to replace coords in cage spawn after copy-pasting it.
So, I think it is ready now:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By17mLYB7EvqSTFLQUN4NzBGLWM

Added (2015-09-28, 7:52 PM)
Btw, what about Panzerfausts, there are some pick-up kits with them at farm flag.

crazygameloverDate: Monday, 2015-09-28, 11:56 PM | Message # 118
Colonel
Awards: 13
Quote Endless_Nameless ()
Sure it's only with S&T pack? Is there a Stashuv Area map in your STFHSW levels folder? I don't have this problem btw.

I have tried Stashuv without its respective S&T mapfile and it still lags a lot. Last time I tested it without the S&T pack, the map would always crash after north flag #2 was capped.

Quote RADIOSMERSH ()
I've found out why push mode didn't work on Carentan and it is pretty dumb: I just forgot to replace coords in cage spawn after copy-pasting it. So, I think it is ready now:

Awesome! What about Sittang, next? I think it would be fine if you just placed a few of the new Japanese tanks around the map and go from there. I don't remember it being terribly unbalanced, so maybe swap one Chi-Ha for a Type 89, and put a few Type 94/Type 92's anywhere. tbh you could place 20 of those and the Allies could still win  dry

Added (2015-09-28, 10:56 PM)
Spurning Fate (night) is *done:
https://drive.google.com/file....sharing

*all I did was removed the unrealistic nightvision vehicles, so it may need further balancing.

Could someone upload this to the server and test it for me? I had no problems, but that's not very indicative of its stability  tongue

EDIT: new link uploaded

Message edited by crazygamelover - Tuesday, 2015-09-29, 12:25 PM

RADIOSMERSHDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-29, 0:27 AM | Message # 119
FHSW Wikia Co-Admin
Quote crazygamelover ()
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1n3MOstsYwcNkxFdmU1R21TamM
Access is required on the link.

(HH)BenjaminDate: Tuesday, 2015-09-29, 2:25 AM | Message # 120
Colonel
Awards: 9
IMPORTANT
Just so everybody knows, the map "The Attack on Carentan-1944" and "Spurning Fate-1945" are going to have the same problem as "Eagles Nest", because there are maps with the same names of these maps in not only regular FH, but FHR as well, I'm not sure if FHR affects FHSW or not though. But anyways these three maps need to be renamed for people (me) who have these multiple map names problem.

Message edited by (HH)Benjamin - Tuesday, 2015-09-29, 2:28 AM

Forum » Welcome to the [FHSW] Europe Community! » Mapping » Bring back the old maps! (m) (Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WW2 & FHSW-maps)
Search: